Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 01:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Noob questions
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 05:50 

So...are there any games that will work without using specialty hardware like TripleHead and Eyefinity video cards? I have an ATI 5850 with 2 24" monitors...so far I haven't been able to run any game that uses both monitors. I've tried windowed modes with Crysis, Left 4 Dead, AOE3, HL2 etc...all games that other people have demonstrated working, but I must really be missing something...!

Am I wasting my time with this hardware...or is there a trick I don't understand...?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Noob questions
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 04:24 

OK, now I'm getting somehwere. I downloaded the Hydravision driver from ATI - and after a reboot, I see that I can now "group" my displays which creates a new monitor that when extended now shows 3840x1080. I have 2 24" monitors (one is 1920x1200 and one is 1920x1080 unfortunately) but if I pick the lowest common denominator, I can get 3840x1080.

Going into games I've tried now recognize this resolution - some of them you have to switch to window mode, select the new resolution that should be recognized now - and then switch back to full screen mode.

An important detail that I couldn't find on most forums for some reason...!