Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 00:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 18:18 

Hello, all,
I've been lurking on here for about a week, and figured it was time I asked for some advice!

You see, I just bought a Galaxy MDT GTX570 from Newegg, and am not sure whether I should return it. And if I do return it, what would I get in it's place?

For those who don't know about the card, here's a link to the Galaxy product page which has a couple of interesting videos from Linus at NCIX TechTips (you have to click on the "MDT GeForce GTX570" button on the left for the videos to pop up).

And here's the link to the Newegg page.

I love gaming. So much so, that given the free time, I'd rather play a game than watch TV, watch a movie, etc. However, that's not the main reason I wanted to upgrade my GPU. I do a lot of 2-D and 3-D graphics, and needed a card that allowed me to use my 12" Wacom Cintiq in addition to my two main monitors. In short, I needed a card with 3 DVI outputs. When I came across the MDT GTX570 and saw that it had four DVI ports, I thought it would be perfect: giving me the three DVI ports I needed PLUS the ability to enjoy surround gaming (without having to unplug the Cintiq).

I should note that because my motherboard is PCIe v2.0, I was limited in my options. Also, I was trying to keep the cost under $300. On sale for $289 (and with a $20 rebate), this card fit the bill nicely.

For my art production purposes, the card is awesome: exactly what I needed. I've got three 1080 monitors for all those windows, and can use my little Cintiq freely, without having to unplug one monitor in order to use it. But as some of you may know, for gaming, it's not so great.

The main problem is that the system (or at least the NVIDIA Control Panel) sees the native resolution as 3840x720. You can set up a custom resolution of 5760x1080 using the Control Panel, but in doing so, you have to set the refresh to 50Hz. This means that while some games will run great at 5760x1080, some simply refuse to, and can only run at 3840x720.

RTS games are one of those genres that most benefit from a triple HD setup. And while I can run Total War: Shogun 2 beautifully at 5760x1080, R.U.S.E.—which earned a double-gold here at WSGF.org—will only run at 3840x720 no matter what I try. (I've tried changing the Option.ini file and have scoured regedit for a place to change the settings there, but to no avail.) And this bums me out immensely!

As a gamer, I prefer eye candy (especially detail) over frame rate—so it's not the 50Hz that bothers me. As long as a game averages at least 30 FPS, I'm pretty happy. I'm not a competitive gamer, so I'm sure I'm not as "hardcore" as most folks on this forum. And to be honest, as I mentioned my $300 budget, I can't really afford to be!

But like I said, I love detail—seeing Shogun 2 run smoothly at 5760x1080 with the settings fairly high put a huge smile on my face. It's been cool playing R.U.S.E. with the settings maxed at 3840x720, but the UI is big and clunky, and the fact that I'm not seeing the highest resolution is gnawing away at my enjoyment of the game.

My current situation is exacly what Paradigm Shifter described in the thread I linked above: "if I wanted four monitors in a production environment, I'd be torn."

So what's a guy to do? Is this card already the best bang for my buck? Or is there a (PCIe v2.0 ) single-card solution that will give me true native 5760x1080 and four outputs? Can I get it for $400 or less? (Yes, I'm willing to spend a little more on this.) Or is there a two-card (SLI/Crossfire) solution that will do the same for the same money AND without too many headaches?

Basically, I've got a window of about a week in which I can return the card to Newegg, and I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Thanks for reading this looong post!

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 21:09 
Editors
Editors

4 Monitors ? With new GTX670 you can use 3+1 Setup ! Play on 3 Screens in Surround and have on Extended. But yeah... that Card is atm arround 400$ No idea when the GTX660 will release and if it also will be capable of 3+1.

IF you want to run surround/eyefinity on 4 monitors you need an AMD card! for 350$ you'd get an 7870 or for 240$ and 7850! With 2x mini DP, HDMI +DVI (or 2x DVI and no HDMI should also work) you can run Eyefinity 4 screens. (If i'm correct. Thought 4L or 4P is also supported....)

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 22:15 

I should note that because my motherboard is PCIe v2.0, I was limited in my options.

In what way, you cant use agp cards ???
you can absolutely use any pci-e 3.0 card

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 22:34 

Thanks for the reply, Haldi! A few questions for you (or anyone else who can jump in):

All the 670s, 7870s and 7850s I see are PCIe v3.0—will a 3.0 card work on a PCIe v2.0 motherboard? My understanding is that I'd have to upgrade my motherboard to use a 3.0 card. Is that wrong?

Also, can all four ports on these cards run simultaneously at 1920x1080? I don't see anything listed in the specs for the native/max resolution.

Finally, I'd need adapters for the mini DP to DVI. Can you recommend one? I've read that you have to buy the powered (active) ones, and from what I understand, they're not cheap!

Thanks again!

Post subject: Really?
PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 22:41 

you can absolutely use any pci-e 3.0 card

Really?
So a 3.0 card will work, but it will just be a bit slower since my mobo is 2.0? Or is there no downside at all? Obviously, I assumed they would be incompatible. That would be awesome if I'm wrong!

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 23:18 
Editors
Editors

Yes PCI-E is compatible! You can use a PCi-E 3.0 Card in a PCi-E 2.0 Slot, or the other way around!
And no! you wont get any Performance loss! Yes, PCi-E 2.0 is Slower and if your card hast TO much power it will get slower. but only the GTX690 could use the full potential of PCI-E 3.0 atm! All other cards will give 100% even on PCi-E 2.0 slot!

All Cards can do 1920x1080 fine! The Problem is the Single Link DVI Port on the HD7870! Single Link DVI can do up to 1920x1080 (or was it 1920x1200?) for 1560x1440 you would need a Dual Link DVI!

About Adapters... sorry cant reccomend a specific one... maybe some1 else can.

But you DONT need an External Powered Adapter! but you DO need an Active Adapter! they're around 15-40$

Post subject: Haldi wrote:Yes PCI-E is
PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 23:55 

Yes PCI-E is compatible! You can use a PCi-E 3.0 Card in a PCi-E 2.0 Slot, or the other way around!

Oh, man. I should have come here before I bought the card. Of course I didn't even know about WSGF until I saw the NCIX TechTips video.

All Cards can do 1920x1080 fine!

Haldi, by this, do you mean, each port can handle 1920x1080? Does this mean that a card with five ports (2 x DVI, 2 x MiniDP, 1 x HDMI) can run FIVE monitors at 1920x1080 simultaneously? Not being able to handle 1560x1440 won't be an issue for me as I won't be upgrading my monitors for a while...and I'll be quite happy with native 5760x1080 (plus my 1280x800 Wacom Cintiq).

So, I'll have to do more research, but I'll plan on sending back the MDT GTX570 I bought and will look into the 7870. Having tasted 5760x1080 gaming, I think I'm willing to spend a little more money on it!

If anyone has any other bang-for-the buck suggestions, please let me know. And if anyone can recommend a good, affordable MiniDP to DVI adapter that can handle 1920x1080, I'd really appreciate it!

Post subject: motayba wrote:Haldi, by
PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 00:18 
Editors
Editors

Haldi, by this, do you mean, each port can handle 1920x1080? Does this mean that a card with five ports (2 x DVI, 2 x MiniDP, 1 x HDMI) can run FIVE monitors at 1920x1080 simultaneously

Nope... here it gets complicated... you can use mini DP ports as you like! But with the DVI and HDMI Ports its more complicated on AMD Cards! You have 3 Ports! 1x HDMI, 1x DL-DVI and 1x Sl-DVI, BUT you can only use 2 of them! Doesn't matter which. 2x DVi or 1x DVI and 1x HDMI. But not all 3 at once!

on Nvidia side with the GTX670, or 680 you can use all Ports at once!

btw, just for information, the limit isnt on 5 Monitors ;) you can use an Adapter for mini Displayport and plug 6 monitors into that adapter and the adapter into a single miniDP ! But they wont all run 1920x1080 ^^

Edit: Just some Random Information to the rest of the Readers! Some1 somehow managed to run 2x DVI and 1x HDMI with a special driver in Linux! so its not so "hardware limited" as we allways belief!

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 01:58 

Nope... here it gets complicated... you can use mini DP ports as you like! But with the DVI and HDMI Ports its more complicated on AMD Cards! You have 3 Ports! 1x HDMI, 1x DL-DVI and 1x Sl-DVI, BUT you can only use 2 of them! Doesn't matter which. 2x DVi or 1x DVI and 1x HDMI. But not all 3 at once!

Haha—Yeah...it is complicated. But With any of these 7870s I'd be able to do 3+1 (5760x1080 + 1280x800)?

Take this 7870, for example: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC

It has 2 x MiniDP, 1 x DVI, and 1 x HDMI. With only two non-MiniDP ports, I wouldn't be able to use all four for the 3+1 setup?

And how about the XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

It has 2 x MiniDP, 2 x DVI, and 1 xHDMI—three non-MiniDP ports like you mentioned, so I would be able to have my 3+1 setup, correct?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you said, I just want to make sure I'm clear on this before I buy another card.

I've just been doing some reading on Tom's Hardware, and it looks like the 7870 is probably the best card for me, though it's a bit more money than I wanted to pay (and I'll also have to buy a couple of adapters).

Edit: I'm reading the Widescreen Gaming FAQ now so I can avoid asking stupid questions like what is 1L, 1P, etc. ;)

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 16:07 

A couple more questions for Haldi, or anyone else who can answer them:

Is any card manufacturer better than any other?

Is it more about customer support than product quality?

Is any company's products best avoided?

Does the factory OC make a big difference from doing it yourself? (The Sapphire one I linked above is overclocked from 1000/1200 to 1050/1250. I understand the 7870 has a fair amount of room for overclocking.)

Thanks again to Haldi and anyone who can take the time to answer my questions!