Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Aug 2024, 09:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 15:45 
Editors
Editors

VGA yea that would look great now wouldn't it, have you ever ran a digital to analog before it does not look that great.

One of your monitors would look different, or are you going to use all VGA. That would then defeat the purpose of getting high end monitors if you are going to run them on VGA haha.

You're kidding right? Do you really think that you cannot match 3 screens of the same type with one being connected to VGA?

FHD2401's that you are running isn't even remotely highend, so I can't understand why you bring that up?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 15:56 

[quote]
VGA yea that would look great now wouldn't it, have you ever ran a digital to analog before it does not look that great.

One of your monitors would look different, or are you going to use all VGA. That would then defeat the purpose of getting high end monitors if you are going to run them on VGA haha.

You're kidding right? Do you really think that you cannot match 3 screens of the same type with one being connected to VGA?

FHD2401's that you are running isn't even remotely highend, so I can't understand why you bring that up?

HAHA OMG did I say my monitors were high end no, I was talking about people that say it would be better to spend the extra money on a high end monitor. And no you can't get it to match. But thanks for trash talking my monitors.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:03 
Editors
Editors

HAHA OMG did I say my monitors were high end no, I was talking about people that say it would be better to spend the extra money on a high end monitor. And no you can't get it to match. But thanks for trash talking my monitors.

I'm not trash talking your monitors, but I can't understand where you have the "highend" monitor prequisite here when you don't even use highend screens yourself.

Yes, you can get them to match. I'm currently sitting infront of a highend monitor (NEC 2690WUXi), which is perfectly hardware calibrated (hardware LUT calibrated with Spectraview 2). I can easily match VGA output to DVI output.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:06 
Administrators
Administrators

+1 Currently running 3 of the same screens at home, 2 are DVI and 1 is using a VGA input untill I get ym active dvi adaptor, which ya know, may be redundent tbh, there really is no visually compareable difference in quality from what I could see.

VGA is not all as bad as many think, use a short, high quality shielded cable and there would be no reason to complain, the major downside of cause is that it does not support HDCP and depending on the adaptors, some cheap ones dont pass the monitor ID, which I guess could potentially lead to a slight mismatch in display due to monitor profiles.

Lucky for me I have a VGA adaptor that does pass the monitor ID, and the color profiles loaded, so it is very hard to see the difference, more so when its hooked up to a non central monitor which ones eyes would not be 100% focused towards.

EDIT: on a side note, this is just an assumption, but I figure if someone was to get some really high end monitors, that lets be fair are usually quite expensive, then it would likely have such inputs as display port, failing that I would assume that those whom have the money to spank on multiple high end monitors, would likely be able to afford the more expensive adaptors also.

Multi mon gaming is not cheap no matter which solution you look at, once you start adding all the bits together in total, its not that far off as a compareable price bracket to a competative brand/solution :/

I think this thread has digressed a bit, as far as I see it, ATI+Cables = nearly as much as 2xNvidia.
So essentialy fitting into the same price bracket near enough, so really lets take a look at the technologys of each offering, rather than the cabling solutions for each tech.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:22 

[quote]

I'm not trash talking your monitors, but I can't understand where you have the "highend" monitor prequisite here when you don't even use highend screens yourself.

Yes, you can get them to match. I'm currently sitting infront of a highend monitor (NEC 2690WUXi), which is perfectly hardware calibrated (hardware LUT calibrated with Spectraview 2). I can easily match VGA output to DVI output.

Yea you were, I didn't say anything about my monitors being high end, I was referring to other people who say most people would rather spend more money on a quality panel, talking about the surround vs eyefinity thread. I just think it would defeat the purpose of getting a high end monitor then resorting to vga. But then you throw out your monitors are not high end hehe. Nope there not but they look outstanding. I have never had any luck getting a vga connection to match a dvi connection. Any time I have ran VGA, it always looks washed out or a slight grain on the screen, yea I guess I could down quality my DVI connections to match the VGA connection but why would I want to do that. Maybe on high end monitors it is easier. Or maybe I need some fancy software to do it.

I use one of my VGA connections on one of my monitors when I am repairing computers, it is just easier so I don't have to unhook my other connections. Then I just switch the input to vga and it's there.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:27 

Maybe ATI should consider throwing in those DP to VGA adapters. Like you said there only $30 so I am sure they could get a major discount if they bought a bunch of them. Or they could just make them. When I got my cards I didn't know that was even possible, I have now for a while, but at the time I didn't because there were ATI videos Sapphire to be exact showing that you NEEDED an active DP to DVI adapter haha.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:34 
Editors
Editors

Yea you were, I didn't say anything about my monitors being high end, I was referring to other people who say most people would rather spend more money on a quality panel, talking about the surround vs eyefinity thread. I just think it would defeat the purpose of getting a high end monitor then resorting to vga. But then you throw out your monitors are not high end hehe. Nope there not but they look outstanding. I have never had any luck getting a vga connection to match a dvi connection. Any time I have ran VGA, it always looks washed out or a slight grain on the screen, yea I guess I could down quality my DVI connections to match the VGA connection but why would I want to do that. Maybe on high end monitors it is easier. Or maybe I need some fancy software to do it.

I use one of my VGA connections on one of my monitors when I am repairing computers, it is just easier so I don't have to unhook my other connections. Then I just switch the input to vga and it's there.

You used highend monitors as a prequisite when arguing against a dp-VGA adapter, which I found strange considering you don't use them yourself. Its not a big problem matching VGA screens with DVI screens. The bigger problem is often the inconsistency between the different lights that comes out of the CCCFL backlight, even when the screens are of the same model. That requires a change of color temperature in many cases, which is hard without hardware calibration regardless if you use DVI or VGA. Banding can often be a result, since without color management, software adjustments doesn't quite get it and you need to change the RGB sliders on the screen to achieve this. :)

I've been thinking for a while to write a guide on how to match screens manually, while using colorimeter to show the effect, but time has prevented me from it.

Maybe ATI should consider throwing in those DP to VGA adapters. Like you said there only $30 so I am sure they could get a major discount if they bought a bunch of them. Or they could just make them. When I got my cards I didn't know that was even possible, I have now for a while, but at the time I didn't because there were ATI videos Sapphire to be exact showing that you NEEDED an active DP to DVI adapter haha.

I agree!

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:46 

[quote]

You used highend monitors as a prequisite when arguing against a dp-VGA adapter, which I found strange considering you don't use them yourself. Its not a big problem matching VGA screens with DVI screens. The bigger problem is often the inconsistency between the different lights that comes out of the CCCFL backlight, even when the screens are of the same model. That requires a change of color temperature in many cases, which is hard without hardware calibration regardless if you use DVI or VGA. Banding can often be a result, since without color management, software adjustments doesn't quite get it and you need to change the RGB sliders on the screen to achieve this. :)

I've been thinking for a while to write a guide on how to match screens manually, while using colorimeter to show the effect, but time has prevented me from it.

I agree!

That would be cool if you did that, I have never had any luck matching them and it sounds exactly like what you are referring to. Or maybe just my low end monitors. But I really have no use for VGA, I bought the $100 adapter, and if when I go back to Nvidia I can just use all DVI so... But it would be nice for people who are going to Eyefinity.

Another thing that would be nice is if someone made a sticky saying "DO NOT BUY ACTIVE DP TO DVI" instead you can use one of these. And post this in the Eyefinity section of course. I mean it would save people $70-80 I am sure people would appreciate it.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:54 
Editors
Editors

That would be cool if you did that, I have never had any luck matching them and it sounds exactly like what you are referring to. Or maybe just my low end monitors. But I really have no use for VGA, I bought the $100 adapter, and if when I go back to Nvidia I can just use all DVI so... But it would be nice for people who are going to Eyefinity.

Another thing that would be nice is if someone made a sticky saying "DO NOT BUY ACTIVE DP TO DVI" instead you can use one of these. And post this in the Eyefinity section of course. I mean it would save people $70-80 I am sure people would appreciate it.

I might, since I have all the equipment to make tests to show how it affects the DeltaE between the colors and similar things. Its useful for both DVI and VGA, since matching the screens involves much the same steps.

I doubt we will ever put up a "buy this instead of that", since people have different preferences and budget, but I try to give people options when I can. :)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 20:13 

So... does this work w/ setting your res to 5040x1050 w/ a th2g? Or is it only for when you have 3 outputs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next