Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 00:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 21:09 

I decided on a temporary upgrade from my GTX 580s this morning, but didn't bargain on quite how temporary it was going to be. It seems that GTX 680s do not work at all in SLi when surround is chosen if you are on an AMD 990FX chipset motherboard (there has been mention of it affecting other 990 series boards too). They're okay on single monitors, but the moment you set surround up they barely get past 5fps, even though you can get much better frame rates than that in surround with just one of them.

I've since found plenty of evidence of others in the same boat as me, there are threads about the issue on the Nvidia and ROG forums. Nvidia are of course blaming AMD, saying it is a Mobo BIOS issue, but at the same time they are working on the issue (it seems they've known about it for quite some time, but can't be bothered to warn their customers) and this issue never happened with previous generations of Nvidia cards.

If you were planning on going 680 SLi on a 990FX series mobo, I'd advise you to hold off on parting with your cash just yet, as it looks like this might take some time to get fixed.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 06:37 
Editors
Editors

mhmm, does that influence the GTX 690 also ?

Post subject: As far as I'm aware it
PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 10:05 

As far as I'm aware it doesn't. The issue seems to be that the cards don't power up properly when there is more than one of them and they're set to run at a surround res, but when there is only one card/PCB they work fine. For obvious reasons though I'd be very wary of splashing all that cash out.

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 18:12 

Latest news from Nvidia is that they're still working on it... but no news if it will be a drivers update or a mobo BIOS update to fix it yet, or any kind of time frame for it to happen in.