Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 06:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 01:52 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]You will need two cards in SLI.

Oh heck...I thought that was only required for the 3D side of it. But even if that is true, buying a second GTX285 would still be a viable option...IF it all worked without the hassles associated with the Digital TH2G and the 57Hz requirement for three 24" monitors.

Yep, that's the route I'm going. I happen to be Tri-SLI GTX260 right now, so I'm just waiting on drivers. I'll be glad to be rid of the Matrox GXM boxes if not simply for the fact that I can now use the displays to thier full potential without them being limited by a single video cable and a box that can't handle display maximum resolution. I am also hoping portrait rotation works, as I prefer the footprint of 3 24" in portrait mode on the desk.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 20:41 

Just an FYI to the thread:

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18298

And you'll need to have two high-end Nvidia graphics cards, either based on the upcoming GF100 GPU or the current GTX 200 series, because neither generation of GPU can drive more than two displays simultaneously.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:03 

Wow... well that sucks for anybody that had hopes of using the old tech! Good thing I wasn't waiting on that one...

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:07 

So the nVidia solution requires two cards for three monitors and someone here is far happier to spend that amount on gpus that will be superceeded in six months/a year rather than the single card option and spend the difference on monitors that will last far longer?

I really fail to see the fuss here.

The nVidia 3 monitor 'solution' looks like something quickly put together rather than the purpose developed solution that we currently have from ATI.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:54 

So the nVidia solution requires two cards for three monitors and someone here is far happier to spend that amount on gpus that will be superceeded in six months/a year rather than the single card option and spend the difference on monitors that will last far longer?

That's kind of a rediculous statement, in my opinion. I've never gone SLI in the first place, because my "gaming" consists of the Flight Simulator series and various other "racing" simulators that really don't benefit from an SLI configuration in the first place. But I was totally willing to buy a TH2G years ago (the price of a second "high-end" video card) for the Surround Gaming experience it provides in both flying and racing sims.

So yes...if a 3-monitor wide capability is achievable with a second nVidia card in SLI, I see the purchase as no different than buying a TH2G.

Your comment is like saying someone was crazy for purchasing a second video card for SLI in the first place.

And the fact that ATI may already have a single GPU that can do it most certainly isn't a benefit to everybody. It has been documented numerous times ATI cards do not perform as well as nVidia cards for certain "gaming" situations. MS Flight Simulator is one of them. I have nothing inherently against ATI GPUs, but I won't buy one for Flight Simulator until they can perform to at least the same level as an nVidia card for FS.

Respectfully submitted, and no animosity intended towards any ATI afficiados or reps here.

Rick

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:58 
Editors
Editors

I really fail to see the fuss here.

The nVidia 3 monitor 'solution' looks like something quickly put together rather than the purpose developed solution that we currently have from ATI.

It looks like SoftTripleHead.

Looking more like that every time there is some more info. :(

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 23:01 
Insiders
Insiders

So what if the solution requires two cards? At least the capability is there, this is even better for us as games will now be streamlined to be able to use 3 displays in newer games. Plus plenty of people have 200 series card in SLI atm, so It's really just a "Value Added" Feature (haha, I coined a term from ati there). Plus how many people who use nvidea cards ever really only get one? Simply put, if you go with nVidea, you weren't getting your money's worth anyway.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 23:18 

Simply put, if you go with nVidea, you weren't getting your money's worth anyway.

If I went with ATI, Flight Simulator ran like a dog. Why would I build a "gaming" computer for Flight Simulator with all the latest technology in it, then put in a GPU that performed worse than a competitor's GPU for the "gaming" application I was going to run? And I'm no "newbie" computer user. I've done IT for over 30 years and have had my pilot's license for over 35 years.

It's all relative as to what "your money's worth" really means.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 23:20 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote] Simply put, if you go with nVidea, you weren't getting your money's worth anyway.

If I went with ATI, Flight Simulator ran like a dog. Why would I build a "gaming" computer for Flight Simulator with all the latest technology in it, then put in a GPU that performed worse than a competitor's GPU for the "gaming" application I was going to run? And I'm no "newbie" computer user. I've done IT for over 30 years and have had my pilot's license for over 35 years.

It's all relative as to what "your money's worth" really means.
It also depends on which game you are playing. But of course you know that anyway.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 23:21 

And the fact that ATI may already have a single GPU that can do it most certainly isn't a benefit to everybody. It has been documented numerous times ATI cards do not perform as well as nVidia cards for certain "gaming" situations. MS Flight Simulator is one of them. I have nothing inherently against ATI GPUs, but I won't buy one for Flight Simulator until they can perform to at least the same level as an nVidia card for FS.

I can't seem to find any recent performance comparisons for FlightSim X, but this HD 4850 review shows the relative modest solution outperforming higher priced NVIDIA cards in cases. [H]ardOCP also did an Eyefinity performance test using this title and shows that an HD 5870 can run in 3x 1900x1200 acceptibly with high settings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next