Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 12:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 16:20 

Are you guys doing BFBC2 in single player?

I just returned my 5970 and replaced with 2 480s, I can now run BC2 at High (med effects and HBAO Off) and 4AA and only in a *LOT* of action/smoke/effects do I see it go down to the mid 50s, even then it's not noticeable unless I look at my fraps display.

I can't see how it would be playable (multiplayer) with HBAO on and High Effects..

Oh yeah and the 480s are so much nicer than the 5970.. Anything below 60 on the 5970 felt choppy, but so far even at 50fps the 480s still feel smooth.

Oh I don't miss that displayport adapter at all (would frequently need to be unplugged/plugged in to work), and I have yet to have my system crash since the switch...

Metro2033 runs great on Normal. That HardOCP review comparing Nvidia Surround to Eyefinity that showed it playable on High with SLI 480s must have been high themselves cause 30fps is not playable at all in that game, so I was a little disappointed there but Normal plays really really well.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 18:36 
Editors
Editors

Yes SP.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 09:34 

I just returned my 5970 and replaced with 2 480s, I can now run BC2 at High (med effects and HBAO Off) and 4AA and only in a *LOT* of action/smoke/effects do I see it go down to the mid 50s, even then it's not noticeable unless I look at my fraps display.

I can't see how it would be playable (multiplayer) with HBAO on and High Effects..

Oh yeah and the 480s are so much nicer than the 5970.. Anything below 60 on the 5970 felt choppy, but so far even at 50fps the 480s still feel smooth.

Oh I don't miss that displayport adapter at all (would frequently need to be unplugged/plugged in to work), and I have yet to have my system crash since the switch...

Metro2033 runs great on Normal. That HardOCP review comparing Nvidia Surround to Eyefinity that showed it playable on High with SLI 480s must have been high themselves cause 30fps is not playable at all in that game, so I was a little disappointed there but Normal plays really really well.

Yes I am playing in MP. I have not really played the game in SP. I agree about HBAO it is unusable with both setups. I was getting between 55 - 85 with my 5970 @900/1200 no aa or hbao all high settings (AF might have been off cant remember!) With the 480's getting similar rates but can add AA and get similar rates. I never had problems with choppy feel unless the 5970 got hit with a big explosion right in front of me on atacama.

Overall happy with the 480's and with the coolermaster HAF-X case seems to do a good job of keeping them cool even at 800/1000. The difference in BC2 me is not huge but no crashes which is important. I really got these to add the third when the drivers are working better.

The 480 seem to have a very slightly higher average and lower max but a higher min which is important.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 11:32 

SLI/Tri-SLI question for the users with this setup. Hows the heat dump in your homes from this monster setup? I can stomach the price of the cards and water blocks and they would be going into an overkill water cooling setup but i'm not sure I want to turn my office into a sauna. I also like to GPU crunch so they would get about ~90% usage 24/7.

*Edit, also looking to dump my ATI setup due to poor drivers/ eyefinity-xfire support.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 11:49 
Editors
Editors

SLI/Tri-SLI question for the users with this setup. Hows the heat dump in your homes from this monster setup?

lol thats not so bad, the noise is much more noticeable than heat tbh, running tri-sli of GTX 480, and using headphones - no problems at all, the performance is awesome, so is the immersion.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 12:54 

lol thats not so bad, the noise is much more noticeable than heat tbh, running tri-sli of GTX 480, and using headphones - no problems at all, the performance is awesome, so is the immersion.

Thanks, thats good enough for me... i'm sold :rockout

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 20:57 
Editors
Editors

Thanks, thats good enough for me... i'm sold :rockout

Haha cool :cheers

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 11:28 

[quote]Thanks, thats good enough for me... i'm sold :rockout

Haha cool :cheers

Again the noise with a custom profile is more noticeable than the heat. In saying that I have noticed my computer room is warmer than it was with my 5970! I am also using a new case so it could be a combination of better flow through the case as well. I am only on sli until the drivers sort out tri surround. In BC2 I am only getting up to around high 70's C at around 80% fan so not too bad. In crysis warhead much hotter closer to high 80's but the gpu use is near locked at 99% usage. Not really tried much else as yet.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 12:16 
Editors
Editors

I am only on sli until the drivers sort out tri surround.

3 way SLI runs great on surround, just some few games like BFBC2 dont like it, check the first page of this thread, ive added some CPU usage pics of MSI Afterburner running 3 x GTX 480.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 23:19 

[quote]I am only on sli until the drivers sort out tri surround.

3 way SLI runs great on surround, just some few games like BFBC2 dont like it, check the first page of this thread, ive added some CPU usage pics of MSI Afterburner running 3 x GTX 480.

This is a silly question (I know honest question is silly but i need to ask) I seen the gpu usage pics when you started the topic but is it actually adding anymore fps over normal sli. It is a pain as I wanted to get tri sli for bc2 and this does seem to be one game that does not like it for now.

As it happens something in bc2 does not something in my computer. I still get random crashes to desktop with both nv and ati even after fresh OS installs. I have the email address of a few people at ea and dice and have been told running everything on low will cut down the number of crashes something to do with multiple render paths causeing problems. So I dont actually need it for bc2 as I get lots of fps in bc2 anyway!! I suspect something in my gigabyte motherboard as it is the only thing I am have not chaged.... Actually I just suspect BC2 but some people never have any problems.

I may just get the third card when I see the drivers working a little better and a better fan for the gpu duct with the extra top fan in my HAF-X.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next