Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 03:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 17:00 

Received my 680 on Tuesday- been running it through tests and games since. Upgraded from an old 295 which was coupled with a Matrox TH2G. Far as performance the thing is a beast- it's enough to run Skyrim (with a plethora of graphic mods including the texture pack) on ultra and doesn't break a sweat. It also runs cooler and is a lot quieter. Granted, I'm still only packing 5040x1050.

I did run into some issues however with trying to use nVidia 2D Surround. For some reason the recognized resolution only yields ~4300x900 instead of the full 5040x1050 with Surround enabled. Using the Matrox still yields the correct resolution so I've been using this as a temporary workaround while I work with EVGA support. Attempting to set up a custom resolution errors out with an unsupported message. At this point I tend to think it may be driver related as this used to happen a fair bit when I first picked up the Matrox. On the other hand, it may be display related too... I'm using 2x DVI and a DVI-DP dongle. I'd like to move in the direction of getting Surround working, particularly in favor of the Witcher 2 Enhanced.

Anyone else dealt with something like this yet?

3x 1920x1080 Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

EVGA GeForce 680 @ 5760x1080

Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (3.7 Turbo)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 20:15 
Editors
Editors

Received my 680 on Tuesday- been running it through tests and games since. Upgraded from an old 295 which was coupled with a Matrox TH2G. Far as performance the thing is a beast- it's enough to run Skyrim (with a plethora of graphic mods including the texture pack) on ultra and doesn't break a sweat. It also runs cooler and is a lot quieter. Granted, I'm still only packing 5040x1050.

I did run into some issues however with trying to use nVidia 2D Surround. For some reason the recognized resolution only yields ~4300x900 instead of the full 5040x1050 with Surround enabled. Using the Matrox still yields the correct resolution so I've been using this as a temporary workaround while I work with EVGA support. Attempting to set up a custom resolution errors out with an unsupported message. At this point I tend to think it may be driver related as this used to happen a fair bit when I first picked up the Matrox. On the other hand, it may be display related too... I'm using 2x DVI and a DVI-DP dongle. I'd like to move in the direction of getting Surround working, particularly in favor of the Witcher 2 Enhanced.

Anyone else dealt with something like this yet?

nVidia Surround works fine via DVI+DVI+HDMI if you get an HDMI->DVI cable. That's what I'm running ATM and avoids the need for DisPort. That might help, who knows?

I've done some testing, but mostly I've been busy (at work) or busy gaming. :D

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 23:52 

Why... did I not think of this. I even have a cable to do it. NGH. Time for troubleshooting!

EDIT: No luck. Dual link, regular, HDMI or DisplayPort... nothing gives the correct resolution. The only thing I haven't tried is a Dual Link DP but I'm not sure that'd make much difference considering they're just 1680x1050 displays (BenQ G2200W). 4320x900 is as high as it goes. I gave it a shot in portrait mode as well just for grins and it doesn't display correct resolution there either. The only time it does correct resolutions is when it's running in extended desktop mode.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 10:34 

Anyone has tried a single 680 in surround portrait mode? Do you guys know if there is tearing with VSYNC on?

Post subject: I'm also interested in
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 02:20 

I'm also interested in whether tearing (over different connectors, i.e. 2x DVI + 1x DP) is an issue or not as well.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 11:17 

I'm also interested in whether tearing (over different connectors, i.e. 2x DVI + 1x DP) is an issue or not as well.

Yes, exactly. I'm thinking of buying one and would really like to know.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 13:29 
Editors
Editors

I just swapped my U2410 to DisPort for the purposes of testing; on a single monitor with Vsync disabled, I see tearing if the framerates gets too high. In Surround, I didn't, but that was by no means a fully scientific test as in Surround framerates are significantly lower.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 09:29 

Could you try an old game, like CSS or something like that. Even waving windows in both monitors in your desktop to see if there is tearing.

Thx for the input!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 17:02 

Got mine working finally. Apparently the refurb displays had borked firmware- get what ya pay for.

Ended up going with Dell UltraSharp displays that support portrait mode, and everything works wonderfully with 2 DVI and 1 DP. I've tried out portrait mode as well with the 680, in addition to using the 3rd display across several different connectors (non-active DP-to-DVI dongle, direct DP cable). I do not experience screen tearing regardless from what games I've played so far (Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Witcher 2) or the Windows 7 desktop, regardless of landscape or portrait mode.

I probably need to yank PowerDesk off the machine though- redundant software at this point, from what I've read.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 17:10 

Got mine working finally. Apparently the refurb displays had borked firmware- get what ya pay for.

Ended up going with Dell UltraSharp displays that support portrait mode, and everything works wonderfully with 2 DVI and 1 DP. I've tried out portrait mode as well with the 680, in addition to using the 3rd display across several different connectors (non-active DP-to-DVI dongle, direct DP cable). I do not experience screen tearing regardless from what games I've played so far (Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Witcher 2) or the Windows 7 desktop, regardless of landscape or portrait mode.

I probably need to yank PowerDesk off the machine though- redundant software at this point, from what I've read.

Thats awesome!! You have made me happy, as soon as 4 GB version of the 680 comes out I'm buying one no tearing and bezel peeking! This card is full of win!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next