Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 19:46 

I just completed my surround setup with GTX 275s in SLI with a 9800 GT for PhysX. My biggest complaint by far is the driver support with 4 monitors (3 in surround and 1 by itself). I have the 3 hooked up to the SLI (2 on 1 and 1 on the other) and the 4 22" on the 9800. The 22" constantly moves back to the left of the 3 even though I set it above - it goes to 1920x1080 even though its only 1680x1050. Ive tried the 260 drivers but they do the same thing AND the drivers think I have like 5-7 Dell 19" lcds hooked up. very big pain in the ass. I mainly play WoW, which doesnt benefit from Dual GPUs but ive started getting into FPS games which most do. I think that im gonna hold out until christmas and then get a couple of the 6850 cards - 1 card is bigger than both 275s so WoW will improve and the my dual GPU games will improve even more (assuming that ATIs drivers arent shit

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 20:33 

If Nvidia ever adds quick profile switching between Extended Desktop and Surround modes, I'll immediately dump my HD5850.

Come on Nvidia; ATi can't get their drivers right, maybe you can...

I don't think anyone can... maybe Microsoft. Switching to Surround or Eyefinity with either card takes about 30 seconds or so while the monitors turn on and off and the computer hangs up and whatever its doing. Even with a toggle key that would be very painful to have to go through each time.

To keep on topic, I just upgraded to SLI 580's; glad I waited until the next cards were released before making my big gpu upgrade! Next up, h20 cooling and PSU upgrade and a 3rd evga 580 superclock :D

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 06:49 

Why would you need to waste time switching in and out of Surround? Just use Matrox Desktop utility to delineate your physical monitors within spanned mode so that your maximized windows snap within the right monitors.

I only switch out of Surround to play BRs (since Arcsoft + Surround = BSOD) or if a game freaks out in Surround (rare).

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 04:10 

[quote]If Nvidia ever adds quick profile switching between Extended Desktop and Surround modes, I'll immediately dump my HD5850.

Come on Nvidia; ATi can't get their drivers right, maybe you can...
I don't think anyone can... maybe Microsoft. Switching to Surround or Eyefinity with either card takes about 30 seconds or so while the monitors turn on and off and the computer hangs up and whatever its doing. Even with a toggle key that would be very painful to have to go through each time.You can set two profiles in Catalyst Control Center on ATi cards (one for Extended Desktop, one for Eyefinity), and use RadeonPro (the ATi Equivelant of nHancer) to automatically switch from Extended Desktop to Eyefinity as soon as a game starts and switch back when the game quits.

It all works very nice and seamlessly. Switching modes only takes the card a second (No hanging or anything like you describe).

Why would you need to waste time switching in and out of Surround? Just use Matrox Desktop utility to delineate your physical monitors within spanned mode so that your maximized windows snap within the right monitors.
The Matrox Desktop Utility is a dirty hack, and does not offer the same usability as true Extended Desktop mode.

Some applications ignore the matrox software and maximize to all your displays anyway (not a problem with extended desktop). The Matrox software does not allow Aero Snap to work correctly (extended desktop does). The Matrox software does not confine the taskbar to the center screen (again, not a problem with extended desktop).

If I'm not gaming, I'm using Extended Desktop mode. There is no substitute. Nvidia really needs to add a quick way to switch in and out of Surround, as mucking about in the Nvidia Control Panel every time I want to start a game is WAY too much hassle.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 01:12 

Haha! Been using the "dirty hack" Matrox desktop for over a year now, not once have I gone to extended desktop...

Also, finally found drivers that would use all 3 monitors (280.19 beta) and have seen nice improvements in games like Bulletstorm.

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9