Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 07:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 23:36 

There was a broken booth at my local Frys, but Ive never seen it in action. Anyone here have it or tried it? How are the glasses?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 16:14 

tried it out in a local MediaMarkt. they had it set up for testing with a samsung screen and batman - arkham asylum. i personally was pretty impressed but i only played like 2 minutes or so. the glasses were good to wear for me although i already had some on my nose 8) you should give it a try @ a local store if you can, but i dont think its at a point to throw money out the window for. maybe in a few years. then again, ive read about people who arent able to see the 3d effect with this kind of technology :shock:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:17 
Insiders
Insiders

I've only used the red-blue anaglyph version, not the shutter glasses. I picked up a quality set of red-blue glasses with sunglasses frames on ebay awhile back for around $7. It's the most cost effecitve way to go with this stuff until they make the shutter glasses and 120hz panels dirt cheap. Anaglyph works without the need of $200 shutter glasses and 120hz panels.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 13:23 
Administrators
Administrators

I still have a set of the e-dimensional 3d shutter glasses from the days of win XP and worked connected by wire to a VGA dongle that would switch the glasses on each refresh, this is what i used to use on a number of CRT's and even a 42" plasma with 200hz refresh which works really well!!.

Driver wise and setup it was a real pain in the preverbial to get it right... but once you had it wokring, WOW!!
I recall loading up Dawn Of War not so long ago with it to show a friend the experience of 3D and it works!
As the Space Marine stands there and rotates while at the main menu you can see the gun appearing to come out of the screen, uber awesome when the red laser would whizz past your shoulders :D

In game the HUD appear to be floating way above the buildings etc, the buildings again would look rather awesome in 3D too.

The major downside to this was that with the shutter glasses you loose picture brightness and start to gain a headache after about 30mins of use due to your eyes having refocused on a highly flickering screen.
Hopefully the issue of driver setup will have improved with the new ket so that it is much less of a hassle.
I still expect to get headaches after 30mins or so.

So for the old system once it was setup it worked quite nicely for a small colleciton of games, however a large monitor is really recommened, the effect is just lost on anything less than 19-21".

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:43 

As above, still got my eDimensional shutter specs from my old Ti4600 and CRT days.

Worked quite well in flight simulator but, as said, you lost brightness and a little bit of clarity.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 22:00 

I have a pair of wired eDimensional shutter glasses as well. They work just fine with my dlp projector and even this 60hz LCD.

At least as long as the program can force the video to go into pageblanking mode.

3D games/programs don't work, why? because NVIDIA won't allow 3D vision to be enabled without a monitor on their list. It forces red/blue mode instead.

Anyone know how to fake your monitor as something else? I even tried the reported 'remove pin15 from the vga cable to remove ddc info' thing with an old extension. Did remove the monitor info, didn't change anything in the options.

I need an external way to force the nvidia driver into pageflip mode. Anyone know of such a thing ?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 12:39 
Editors
Editors

3D games/programs don't work, why? because NVIDIA won't allow 3D vision to be enabled without a monitor on their list. It forces red/blue mode instead.

Ew, that's nasty. Another case of nVidia breaking perfectly functional things via software...? :(

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 15:07 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]3D games/programs don't work, why? because NVIDIA won't allow 3D vision to be enabled without a monitor on their list. It forces red/blue mode instead.

Ew, that's nasty. Another case of nVidia breaking perfectly functional things via software...? :(

In a way, yes, unfortunately the eDimensional glasses only have drivers for up to xp and for cards prior to the nvidia 8x00 series, it also requires the display to be run via VGA.
"it should also have Windows XP installed, and not Vista at this time as Vista is not yet supported."
Continued support for these has been distictively lacking by eDimensional.
There is a tool provided by them that will force the display into pageflipping mode called E-D Activator as mentioned by Mesh, however this is simply to test the glasses are wokring/connected ok, it does not work for games.

So even tho nvidia may have set the software to use only certified monitors, there is absolutlely no support from eDimensional either sadly :(.
I can confirm that these did work on a 1024x768@75hz LCD monitor I used to have, however the flickering was of cause fairly apprent to myself, for which you can guarantee that before long you would have a headache.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 18:09 
Editors
Editors

As much as I hate it, bad support is almost a given for niche products. :(

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 07:48 

Yeah but nvidia is trying to take that 'niche product' and make it mainstream, about the worse way to ago about doing that is by making the already existing product unusable ...

I don't think it would hurt their sales either. I mean, if I could get these vga, wired glasses to work, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple weeks after I started using em regularly the wire would get on my nerves and the lack of precision from vga instead of dvi too and I'd go and fetch a wireless nvidia version ...

As it is however, I'm more likely to fetch a zalman monitor with passive polarized glasses for less than the nvidia glasses and compatible display.