Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: no sli option
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 23:10 

Hi,

hope someone can help. i just bought a 2nd gtx580 phantom for my rig. installed, both cards are detected and surround is working fine. however i cannot enable sli in nvidia panel. does somebody know what is wrong?

fyi, i use no sli bridge currently. due to fact that the both cards are so big, i placed one into PCIe 1 slot and the other into PCIe 3 slot. The sli bridge which came with mainboard is too short to connect both cards. my mainboard is an Asus P8P67 deluxe (rev 3). Nvidia driver is now the latest beta 285. but also 280 doesnt show me sli option.

Is a sli bridge necessary to have the "sli option" available in nvidia panel? Usually it shouldnt, or?

thanks,
pudel

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 23:43 
Administrators
Administrators

Yer, you need the bridge, SLI won't work without it, if it could what would be the point of having the bridge in the first place.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 23:44 

So what do you think the "SLI bridge" is for if you think its not necessary for "SLI"?

Anyway, when you open NVidia Control Panel is the SLI option there but greyed out and un-selectable?
Or is it just not there?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 23:50 

the option is just not there (not greyed out or something). only physx option.

i have read that sli is also possible to activate, even without sli bridge. thats what makes me wondering.

Post subject: Well you read bad
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 00:17 

Well you read bad information. (unless a motherboard that I don't know has that option).
But you should have the SLI option there but it should be greyed out with an explanation as to why you cant SLI and the reason will say that you need the SLI bridge.
Are both your cards same make and model?

Post subject: mmh...okay. Gonna buy a
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 00:50 

mmh...okay. Gonna buy a longer sli bridge and will see if it works than.

yes, both cards are identical.

Post subject: Buy a 3-way SLI bridge.
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 00:56 
Editors
Editors

Buy a 3-way SLI bridge. ;)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 01:40 

Buy a 3-way SLI bridge. ;)

ok, should be fine as well. its ordered. will report.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 20:37 
Editors
Editors

Well you read bad information. (unless a motherboard that I don't know has that option).
But you should have the SLI option there but it should be greyed out with an explanation as to why you cant SLI and the reason will say that you need the SLI bridge.
Are both your cards same make and model?

There are some MB's which should do! If they have the Lucid Hydra chip on board. You can use Crossfire (SLI also.... i thought) Without Bridge!
But i'm not 100% sure.... just thought i read it somewhere.

Post subject: update:problem was the
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 01:14 

update:

problem was the missing SLI bridge. once sli bridge was installed nvidia contro panel showed me also the SLI option. :)

but than i got always crashes when i tried to enable SLI. in fact only nvidia control panel crashed and put me back to 800x600 solution. had to deinstall and reinstall the drivers to get back to normal working mode. today i got it fixed. not sure how i did it, because I tried a few things same time, but i am quite sure, that deleting my antivir was the main problem, which caused nvidia control panel to crash when trying to enable SLI. luckily its running now like a charm.