Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Sep 2024, 16:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 12:43 

It's been over a year since the Ipad (now we have iPad2) was announced and it has reignited the tablet computer form factor. Some say it has revolutionized the way we surf the internet and it will be the only way to surf the internet in the future. The same statement was also said when the first netbook hit the market.

If you must own a portable computer to fulfill your casual gaming, internet , multimedia and productivity needs, which device do you prefer? And why?

Post subject: I bought a Kobo Vox for
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 17:40 

I bought a Kobo Vox for reading on my commute and at bed time. Handles comics and graphic novels really well and video is good enough too. My intention was to buy an eReader with benefits (mainly comics) and I'm very happy with it and the icing on the cake is that opera mobile makes it a nice and simple web browser. I can't see tablets as anything more than slightly interactive media consumption devices you get away from that and anything with a keyboard mouse/trackpad is much more userful.

Post subject: Is this a survey spam or
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 03:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Is this a survey spam or something?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 14:45 

Is this a survey spam or something?

No. I'm just asking what other people think of the "tablet vs netbook" issue.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 16:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Can do more with an actual computer, so I'll always take them over a tablet.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 03:04 

If i were a frequent flyer, i would definitely get an iPad. It's great to entertain yourself during long flights.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 04:01 
Founder
Founder

For reading/browsing/email on the go, I've got an iPad. iPad2 is much faster than original iPad, and I'm glad I made the upgrade. Decided to go ahead and to the intermediate upgrade even with iPad3 (with Retina Display) on the horizon (I usually skip generations for gadget upgrades). The Nook Tablet looks interesting, but it would just be to satisfy my gear lust at this point...

Post subject: Quote:If you must own a
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 19:55 
Editors
Editors

If you must own a portable computer to fulfill your casual gaming, internet , multimedia and productivity needs, which device do you prefer? And why?

My Smartphone! Why? because it's always in my pocket!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 18:13 

I've owned an iPad, netbook, laptop, android tablet, itouch, wp7, and a Samsung galaxy s.

- When I first got the iPad there were virtually no apps for it, but now it has some great ones, however I still view it as a media viewing, internet browsing machine... not a gaming machine (even though it has some great games).
- Now the same can be said of the Asus Transformer I currently own, but one of the greatest things about it is that it has a keyboard dock, but it still is really a media/internet browsing machine
- WP7/iPhone/Android are all in the same category, have great games but you need to pay for the phone services
- Netbook/Laptop are great choices, if you want something that you have to lug around (Something the iPad and Android tablets don't have a problem with) and have shorter battery life. However they are THE most versatile of all, and you can do a heck of a lot more with them than ANY other device.
- Personal choice for just something easy would be an iTouch, it has a ton of apps, games, etc... that you can get via WiFi plus you don't have to pay a monthly bill for it. I'd personally get a cheap phone plan and a cheap phone and just carry an iTouch around with me (considering WiFi is practically everywhere and free)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 17:54 
Insiders
Insiders

My happy medium is using a giant desktop for most everything and on the go I use my Android Smart Phone.