Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 13:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GPU temp question
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 22:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello everyone,

I have two GTX 560 ti 2GB twinn frozer edition in my case and iam just curious about the temps you guys are having with your cards because mine are 80C and 70C (GPU1=80C GPU2=70C) while on 99% load and its 25C in the room. they are both 35C idle. I just wanna know if that is dangerous or just fine. I don't get anny unexpected shut downs or blue screens or lines or dots on my srceens while gaming but i wanna know if this is damaging my GPU's. I also wanna know what the temps are from your GPU's.

Here is a image of my case and as you can see the cable mangement is not very good but i cant get it anny better as this + the cards and the PSU are very close to eachother. I have 2 front fans, 1 big top fan, 1 back fan.

Sh4dowking

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 22:24 
Editors
Editors

IF GPU goes over 105°C ... or was it 100°C ? it automatically shuts down to prevent dmg! SO 90°C is okay, its not verry healthy over long time, but it works! 95°C still would work....

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Yep. THough ya, it's not so good, long term

I've seen folks put 120mm fans over the two cards, towardxs teh rear of the case.. seems to bring the temps down a bit more. I had on of these : http://www.bitbenderforums.com/imaginasian/Zalman_Mod/images/zalman.jpg. over my odl GPU adn it helped a bit.Or MacGuyver something similar.

Have you tried custom fan curves with a program like MSI Afterburner?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:51 

I got the 1gb twin froxers sli. My cooling is good I would never get to 80 with the burn in tests. True idle can get into the 20s. The first card will always run hotter.

The cooling rigs for those cards are flimsy. The fans tend to wear out and get noisy. A lot of the hot air doesn't even exhaust out the back but into the case instead.

If you got money by a 3rd party cooler for the 560tis. It is a reference board.

Or cheaper, get some good thermal compound and TC remover/surface cleaner. Take the four screws off the back and pop it apart and redo the TC.

EDIT - Just so it is clear your temps are not that bad. Unless you are running load tests for less than a minute or something.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 13:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks for the reply's

I had one fan from my old pc and i just put it on the flap of my case and it fits so i have now 5 fans in my pc and the airflow should be good now. but i just run kobuster from msi afterburner and made a costum fan control in MSI afterburner but no luck my primairy GPU goes up to 100C! within 3 mins with all my fans on high speed and my GPU fan speed on 100%! and it still hits 100C the other card hits 75C on 100% fan too.

So what is causing this do i have a bad GPU?? I have those cards for 6 months or something and i don't know if i still can bring it back or do i need to put new pasta on it?? Should that help??

Now really weird while iam playing BF 3 on max and my GPU uasage is around 99% the most of the time my temps of my GPUS are 75C and 60C max! really weird right? Does my GPU just dont like GPU stress tests or is it something else??

Post subject: Stress tests always run
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 20:01 

Stress tests always run hotter. The temp difference on the first most likely means the cooler isn't seated properly, the fans are bad, or it is an airflow problem.

Switch the cards and run the tests again. If the card with the good temps gets similiar bad temps when in the first slot it is a case issue. If not, you can try and RMA it if still under warranty. If no warranty I would suggest taking out the cards and comparing them to see if something looks off. The cooler might be loose or there might be TC stuck on the board. MSI tends to go crazy with the amount of TC put on these models.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 20:33 
Insiders
Insiders

When i put just one card in the case (so without SLI) the temps arent going higher then 60C on 99% usage. I tested both cards single and they both seems fine when they run alone so its not an issue with the cards and my airflow is better now because i putted some cables better and the fan on the flap of the case was in the wrong direction so now my temps arent going higher then 75C in SLI on 99% usage. I am fine with that, thanks for the answers!!

Post subject: Shadow, if you are
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 18:10 

Shadow, if you are comfortable taking the heatsinks off. I find reapplying Thermal paste does wonders, most manufactures use the 'pad' approach instead of thermal paste. Temps dropped on my 8800 by about 10C. Then I Oc'ed it...but that is another story.