Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 13:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 19:43 

As some of you may know, I'm into photography quite a bit, and I believe it's time to (semi-)retire my current Philips Brilliance 200W. Which is an excellent piece of light emiitting device I might add.
However, I'd like to have something that's more accurate for it's colours. Currently I handle my pics on a ol' Iiyama CRT, doing a nice job, but I still don't fully trust the colours. I want something that I can trust, something that will ensure me that if people complain about the colours in my pictures, it's their system displaying it wrong, not mine.

So obviously, the monitor will need to be calibrated. If I'm not mistaken, there are screens out there which have hardware calibration. Now if that does what I think it does, I want it. So there's the first real requirement.
In addition, lots of colours would be nice too. There are screens with up to 97% or more AdobeRGB. However, for my purposes, which is mainly my website, I do doubt whether that wouldn't be overkill. Still, if the price is reasonable, I'd opt for it.

Let's see if I can think of some requirements I have in mind:

- Wide viewing angle. 178º or something like that. I believe IPS displays have this ?
- Good colour reproduction - equal throughout the screen. As little variations as possible.
- 20" and up will do, along with appropriate resolutions of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. The former would actually be preferable due to my PC performance, although 1920x1200 wouldn't kill it outright.
- Hardware calibration, as mentioned above.
- Must not be of hideous design. Though most models should be alright there. Preferably something compact, relative to screen size. Good looking gets favoured.
- DVI connection, future compatibility by other connections (HDMI / display port ?) would be given extra consideration.

Something like that. I hope I haven't pinned it down to a single model just yet :P.
Anyway, I'd require a compatible calibration tool as well - suggestions welcome.

Oh, the budget. I'm still of the opinion that working on a budget doesn't work well. Hence the topic title: go nuts. However, I am not really willing to throw money at it like there's no tomorrow, and not reap actual benefits from the features I buy with it. So the budget can be very high, but the monitor had better be worth it.

As an example, here's a marvellous display I've been looking at:
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg222w/index.asp
22", lots of colours, etc. etc. But rather expensive, going at €1000 if my quick check is correct. It's tempting, but I worry that it might be too much for the simple applications I use it for. The 24" edition looks even better, but at twice the price, that's really pushing it too far :P
I read somewhere that NEC also offers some proper pro-like screens. Might consider those as well.

Ah, let's see what you lads can come up with. And no, the ever popular Dell will not do. Unless they've suddenly started producing ridiculously good screens without me knowing :roll:. And anyone suggesting Acer should be banned.

Alternatively, if you think I already have a great screen and should simply buy a calibration tool for it, just shout and maybe save me lots of money :lol:

Now I'll just go post a similar topic on a photography forum and see what they have to say ;)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 20:55 
Editors
Editors

And anyone suggesting Acer should be banned.

I agree completely.

Difference is, I can do it. 8)

:lol:

No, seriously, you want good colour reproduction? Unless someone has snuck up on the scene and I've not noticed (quite possible) Eizo is it. The bees' knobbly bits. The dogs' proverbials.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 21:37 

And no, the ever popular Dell will not do. Unless they've suddenly started producing ridiculously good screens without me knowing...
Well prepare to be shocked then, because Dell's new 22" 2209WA e-IPS 1680x1050 monitor is being touted by many as the best 22" display available, and the first 22" in the IPS class of panels, so it has 8 bit color depth and wide viewing angles.

The e-IPS panels are a new technology which is basically a "detuned" IPS panel. The gamut and brightness are a bit lower than a full IPS but they're still far better than TNs and priced as low as them.

However, for a true all rounder with great color, viewing angles and size, the 26" (25.5" actual) 1920x1200 DoubleSight DS265W IPS can't be beat for a mere $420 USD. Availability in your area may be spotty if even doable though.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 18:47 

On another forum I found a link to a site where I can find my panel type. Apparently I've been running S-IPS for a few years now. Explains why it cost so much at the time :roll:.

What that's done is make me ponder even more whether I should just calibrate this one instead of buying something new :?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 21:21 

What that's done is make me ponder even more whether I should just calibrate this one instead of buying something new :?
Only you can decide that. It's going to depend a lot on your budget, brand availability in your area, whether you want something larger, and how old your current LCD is. They don't last as long as CRTs really.

That being said, if the one you have now is as good as you say, it wouldn't hurt to wait and see what other e-IPS models will hit the market. Some are being made in 1920x1080, like Apple's 23".

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 02:36 

hanzo makes a great monitor, S-IPS.

I'd recommend my 20WMGX2, despite its faults, its incredibly sharp, detailed, and has wonderful color. (I'd sell you mine for the right price)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 03:26 

Uh, don't mean to pick, but that would be Hazro, not Hanzo.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:53 

The choice is made. Thanks to the advice from POTN, I've decided to just get myself a Spyder 3 Pro to calibrate my current setup. Quite a bit cheaper than another heavy duty monitor ;). The order's been placed, looking forward to some proper colours on my screen now :D