Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 02:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 05:00 
Editors
Editors

I decided I need to scrap all my old desk stuff to make room for the new triple monitor setup. This new desk is going to be big, it goes along the entire wall to make sure I have all the space I need to position my stuff.

94"x27" is the size of the top, My idea was to do what we have at work, counter top for the top of the desk and some cabinets under it to give storage space and help old it up.

I asked my maintenance guy at work about it and he recommend I get some file cabinets because they are cheap. So I think that is what I will do (not so cheap but found some good ones on sale) The problem though is pre fabricated counter top at my local lowes was not the size I needed. It was only like 23" wide and I was not going to be happy with that as it would leave my computer tower hanging off the edge or pushed all the way back with no room to breath. I also did not like how the back of it was all curved where it goes up against the wall.

So I ended up buying a 4'x8' pieces of 3/4" MDF and had them cut it to the size I needed to build my desk. The wood seems plenty strong and it was cheap @ $23.00

I'll use cabinets or something to hold it up and then permanently fix it with some L-brackets and some of the left over wood from my cuts. The problem and part I need help with now is how to protect/laminate the wood.

I can buy counter top laminate and that stuff cost like $50 for a single sheet, making it cost more than the pre-fab counter top and it will probably be a pain to cut and install esp on the small parts like the 3/4" edges. So I was thinking contact paper like I used for my arcade project, its a good surface but its not resistant to damage like the laminate is. Also it may cost a lot to get enough of it to cover a huge desk.

So that leave me with one other idea. paint & primer.

So what do you guys thing I should do to make this wood desk worthy?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 09:36 
Editors
Editors

paint it with 2 x coat of primer.

3 coats of your chosen colour.

2 coats of a marine grade varnish or polyurethane.

bang, cheap and effect.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 18:21 
Editors
Editors

Ok thanks maherie,

Im going to check out the vinyl contact paper and see how that looks if I cant find the size/color I want then I think I'll have to take the painting route.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 18:40 

Sand the poly/varnish down between coats if you want it smoother, I have painted wood before and you can see all of the brush strokes, by sanding it you get a smoother finish which may be better if you need to write on it at all (doing bills or something).

I am pretty sure I sanded between coats so it is fairly smooth, still a few ridges from the paintbrush in a few areas.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 06:22 
Editors
Editors

Sand the poly/varnish down between coats if you want it smoother, I have painted wood before and you can see all of the brush strokes, by sanding it you get a smoother finish which may be better if you need to write on it at all (doing bills or something).

I am pretty sure I sanded between coats so it is fairly smooth, still a few ridges from the paintbrush in a few areas.

Sorry, the above is true. I neglected to state and quick sand before each new coat is vitial to sweet looking wood.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 12:57 

MDF is pretty smooth so no real sanding needed. I'd do what Malerie suggested. BUT I'd probably sand it between the layers. 5-7 layers of paint with a 300+ grit (if you really want do 1000grit) will make it so there is no weird bumps in the finish. Poly would be good....

OR, if you want to be epic. see if you can find either someone getting ride of a mirror that would fit or cut glass that would fit the top of it. Glass on wood normally looks really sweet. Pricey...but sweet.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 19:57 
Editors
Editors

I decided to go with contact paper, :D I guess I am impatient also I dont really have a place to paint the MDF, its wet outside and raining often.

It will give it a look I could not get with paint, and a nice surface and its vinyl so its water tight keeping the MDF safe.

Now taking out my stereo, video game systems and other stuff has been absolutely horrible, I must have had 40+ cables back there and wonder if I will managed to get it all wired up again lol, so many different AC adapters for stuff and my setup for my amp was really unique using my EQ as a dual line in with a feedback loop.

My room is ruined in a way, I have open space now for a chair but now there is no room for all my crud, and I have tossed out lots of stuff to make space. I'll have to see how it comes together when the desk is done so I can start putting things on and under it.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 18:47 
Insiders
Insiders

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Polished-Concrete-Desk/
^This.