Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 11:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 05:08 
Insiders
Insiders

When a screen is turned off for a longer period of time, the charge is diminishing and this can fix itself as said in the above link.

How long is a longer period of time? And can it be interrupted at all, or must I leave the monitor off for an extended period of time?

I turn the monitor off at night anyway. It's connected to a power strip which I turn off, so it doesn't get any current at all when it's off. If use the monitor normally during the day and turn it off at night like I usually do, would this eventually fix the retention? I'd be very happy to put up with the retention for a week or two if I knew it would eventually just go away - that would be much preferable to leaving it on all weekend.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 05:26 
Editors
Editors

There is a big variation of how long it takes. For some, its a matter of hours, while for others, it takes days. When its off, I don't know how long it takes, but I would imagine it takes longer time. Dell claims that turning off their LCD tv's doesn't fix it at all:

Turning the LCD monitor off for an extended period of time does not clear the image. The charge must be bled off by charging/discharging the pixels with random images.

link

From what I have read, most people who have had a sucessful recovery used the black and white solution at night while operating the computer normally in daytime. After a 2-3 days, it was gone.

I would recommend that method, since its the one thats reported most as successful.

Edit: Here is a link you can read describing the same method. Hopefully it will help you feel the effort is worth trying:
http://www.screen-wipes.com/pc-screen-burn-fix-trick-for-plasma-and.html

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 06:18 
Insiders
Insiders

That link pretty much describes what I've been doing. Except for some reason my screensaver won't kick in on its own - I have to click the "preview" button.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 06:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Take a screenshot of the MoO HUD, invert the colors and place that as your screensaver :)

Whatever moron engineers/marketers felt that image retention would be an acceptable caveat for LCDs should be shot. Plenty of LCD tech available that won't IR.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 17:24 
Insiders
Insiders

So, I left the thing on all night, and there's definitely an improvement. With normal use, I don't notice anything wrong at all.

But, when I use dead pixel buddy on R-0 G-0 B-64, I see a ghost of whatever I was looking at immediately before.

I think I'm going to turn the monitor off for awhile now and give the pixels a rest, unless there's a better way to fix this.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 03:59 
Insiders
Insiders

I think it's fixed now. Dead Pixel Buddy on 64 blue or gray still show lines, but they aren't clearly recognizable as the MoO HUD (or anything else) and I don't notice them during normal use. It's possible this is just normal non-uniformity in the screen.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 05:48 
Insiders
Insiders

You have your monitor calibrated CH?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/index.php

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 17:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Sort of. My brightness is deliberately undercranked, though, because it hurts my eyes at the "optimal" value.

The only one of those tests that is really affected by this is the black levels, where 1 through 8 are indistinguishable.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 18:40 
Editors
Editors

I never have brightness up very far either. Blinding...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 06:18 
Insiders
Insiders

You should have a backlight control! Brightness controls white point, NOT luminance! Contrast controls the black point. So if your monitor is "blinding" you want to adjust the backlighting. Calibrate in so you aren't clipping whites (brightness) or crushing blacks (contrast), then adjust the backlight for comfort.

If you really want to nail the calibration, calibrate the gamma as well. You'll probably have to do that via the video driver.

If you do not have a backlight control on your LCD... BAD DESIGN! Also be careful about calibrating blacks with a VA type panel, they are basically designed to crush the low end, and calibrating it away will render the panel with extremely poor contrast.

If you find yourself constantly adjusting your brightness/contrast, that is a sign that your LCD is not calibrated properly. Once you nail the calibration, you should be able to forget about adjustments entirely.