Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 10:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 21:00 

When I use only the first memory slot on my MB (slot closest to CPU) to test each individual 2GB stick, the pc turns on but i get a blank screen and nothing happens. however It does work (boots up)when I put it in the second slot when testing each stick though. Is this normal?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 21:24 
Editors
Editors

The slot closest to the CPU is slot 2, the one next to it (second from CPU is slot 1). For dual memory configurations, you use second slot from CPU and forth slot from CPU. :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 00:06 
Editors
Editors

Something has just occurred to me - check what your RAM is, and what voltage it's supposed to run at. You might be running it at 'board stock' which isn't what the RAM actually needs. Either way, if it's only sucking 1.5v, might be worth bumping it up 0.1v and seeing if that sorts out the errors. Sometimes RAM will error if it's not getting enough juice.

Other than that, on the new RAM front... I'd not bothered with any of the ultra-high-end overclockers RAM. Some 'normal' Corsair XMS3 should do fine. They do a 'Vengeance' line (or sommat like that - who comes up with these names, honestly!) now, where they have 8GB kits in 2 DIMMs, and 12GB kits in 3 DIMMs. I'd go with those to avoid filling all the RAM slots - a lot of mobos don't like it (stupid, but true nevertheless)...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 00:40 

I see said the blind man. Well I will definetly check this voltage thing out before I contact OCZ, but I went ahead and picked up 2 x 4GB modules of this corsair "vengeance" anyways :) Oh and my Crashing issues are fixed too!Thanks again!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 07:21 
Editors
Editors

I see said the blind man. Well I will definetly check this voltage thing out before I contact OCZ, but I went ahead and picked up 2 x 4GB modules of this corsair "vengeance" anyways :) Oh and my Crashing issues are fixed too!Thanks again!

Its good your crashing issues are gone. Then your main goal is achieved at least. :cheers

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 14:27 
Editors
Editors

If the crashes are gone, that's awesome. :D

So many problems can be caused by dodgy memory... and they can look like so many other problems. :(

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 18:21 

Good fix.

Story for you to be aware. I had a wonderful (at the time) abit-NF7-S board...Ram was bad...so I called Corsair and got a new one...it still crashed...yes...the freaking memory slot was bad. I never fixed it because I didn't want to be computerless.