Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Sep 2024, 04:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 00:23 
Editors
Editors

Will OLED/FED/SED monitors allow us to switch between different resolutions normally, without the horrible quality degradation of LCD ?

OLEDs etc. are fixed pixel displays, so they will encounter the same problems on non-native resolutions as LCD.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 16:22 

Bad news then. Hmm-hmm.

I guesses that them no-good manufacturers and their LCD bosses in Washington will be all too happy now that everyone will need to buy a new computer every 6 months in order to be able to keep running newer games at forced ultra-high resolutions. Stimulates capitalism and all... now ain't that nice ?

Has anyone in the know or inside the industry had the chance of seeing an *ED screen in action in regards to scaling quality ? Maybe if they could scale stuff decently, i.e. without visually noticeable degradation, unlike LCD...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 02:29 

Cygnus, where did you get those 21" from ? I'm not in the UK but I'll see if they can send me one... with that kind of price range I'd happily shell some extra £££ for shipping, and it seems a good purchase alternative to me.

I usually source them from Ebay and second-hand stores. I never order a monitor like that to be posted, the cost would be enormous. Try an Ebay search that narrows it to your local area, set it to email you when one comes up and then bring a car :)

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 02:47 

[quote]Will OLED/FED/SED monitors allow us to switch between different resolutions normally, without the horrible quality degradation of LCD ?

OLEDs etc. are fixed pixel displays, so they will encounter the same problems on non-native resolutions as LCD.

As are SED/FED displays, each pixel is like its own little CRT IIRC.