Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Sep 2024, 04:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 12:32 

Hi to all this is my first post here. Looks like a good starting point for widescreen games and to pose a question as to the sort of monitor I want. I hope you can help.

I have a top end budget of £350 pounds. My primary use is playing games and usually only FPS games. (Fallout 3 is a fantastic game and I bet it looks glorious in widescreen. Looking forward to Farcry 2.) That's it, not used for graphics work although I may watch the occasional movie but that would be rare.
I have been looking at the SM2493HM but this monitor is so hard to source I've all but given up. SM2693HM is still available and I've also noticed that a particular site has an offer on the NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3, although that is a little outside my budget. I have also read that the benq v24** monitors are pretty good.

Basically I'm stumped and I require a little advice. I've been looking for about 4 weeks now and really want to buy one this week.

My old monitor is an Iiyama 19" CRT flat screen, and although it's a fantastic monitor it is not widescreen and it takes up huge amounts of space. Cost me around £350 a few years back, not worth a light now.

Many Thanks,
Jake

Post subject: Benq FP241W
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 15:13 

Ok the Benq FP241W looks like the business. Oldish monitor but seems to get some top reviews and not to badly priced.

Any here got one

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 15:19 
Editors
Editors

Welcome,

With that budget you're likely to get a very good monitor whichever it is you choose. The Acer G24 is one to look at, has everything you'd want for FPS gaming.
If you liked the look of the 2493 then have a look at the SM2494. Maybe that will take your fancy as I'm sure its largely similar. (And well within your budget)
The Benq FP241W is nearing the top of your budget but should suit you.

Decide whether you want it to be 16:10 or 16:9 really, then you should be able to make your choice. If you're just playing PC games like you said, then 16:10 will probably be best for you. If you want to watch or do any kind of work with video, or will be using the HDMI to plug in a console then go for a 16:9 monitor.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 16:03 

thanks

Hmm the Acer does look like a nice monitor (except the orange one) although price between that and the Benq is not that much, in fact the benq is cheaper on the ebuyer site.

How do I tell which monitor is 16:9 or 16:10 ?

And I know I could google the differences up but what are the basic implications of buying a 16:10 over a 16:9 ?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 18:01 

So in basic terms a monitor displaying 16:10 is streching a 16:9 dvd movie to fit. Is then you're right I'm not bothered about a 16:9 display.

I've also found that the Benq and Acer are both 16:10. It's going to be between these 2 (unless anyone else has any other models they'd like to mention) because I think the samsung is a cheaper version of the model I was initially looking at. After all you get what you pay for.

I've seen both the Benq FP241W and the Acer G24 (blue) for a little over £300 notes. Although the Acer G24 seems quite hard to source.

It's so difficult to make up my mind.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 18:01 

oops multi-post

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 19:05 
Editors
Editors

See our FAQ for basic information about Aspect Ratios and more about widescreen.

So in basic terms a monitor displaying 16:10 is streching a 16:9 dvd movie to fit.

On a 16:10 monitor, the video will be letterboxed, not stretched, although you can customise how video will be displayed in your player of choice.

How do I tell which monitor is 16:9 or 16:10 ?

Generally,
A 16:10 24" monitor will have a resolution of 1920x1200.
A 16:9 24" monitor will have a resolution of 1920x1080.

Either of those monitors looks good. I like the look of the Benq myself 8)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 14:22 

eZ`
just like to say thanks for your help. I took a deep breath and ordered the Benq last night. This seemed to be the best monitor for the money (£312). I did look at the samsung 2494 and some other 16:9 monitors but decided I didn't have a problem with 16:10 and also I didn't want to lose out on .4 of an inch with the 2494 :lol:.

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement, and I'll be nervous until I've got it all set up and tested. There seem to be so many things that can be a problem with TFTs unlike your good old CRT screens. If CRTs didn't take up so much desk space I would certainly have stuck with them.

ANother thing that I've found a little annoying over the last few weeks I've been looking, the only real choice is online. And it would have been really helpful to actually see/touch/play a monitor before purchase. No retailers I could find stocked a decent range of models. For example Dixons, Pc WOrld et al just stocked Samsung T* series.

Anyway by this time tomorrow I will (hopefully) be the proud owner of a Benq FP241W monitor.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 14:41 
Editors
Editors

I sympathise with you about not being able to go all touchy feely with one. I think it's a UK thing. We don't have any decent PC hardware shops on the high street or anywhere else. PC WORLD really can't be counted!

Cross your fingers for a good unit! Issues like dead pixels seem to be largely decreasing now, and manufacturers are being fairer with their return policies, so if there's anything that doesn't seem quite right to you, then getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem.

Take some time calibrating it when you receive it as by default the settings tend to be completely wrong.

And feel free to write us up a User Review in the appropriate section of the forum with your thoughts on it - good or bad ! :D

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 21:44 
Insiders
Insiders

I have a Benq FP241W. This thing is the Flying Spaghetti Monster himself in liquid crystal form. Native aspect scaling makes it great for consoles too.