Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Aug 2024, 19:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 19:44 

Now listen, you LCD and TFT lovers
Tell all your buddies to spread the news

Your Day of Judgment will soon be nigh
As the Lord in his wisdom looks down from on high

Will his battle be lost by mixin' the ratios?
We want beautiful 4:3 monitors, not ones with widescreen

Never, never, never, I say
For the CRT is here to stay

Cos the CRT is here to stay!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 21:10 
Editors
Editors

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 22:53 

LOL, I've had a 4:3 Viewsonic G220fb 21" CRT for the last 4 plus years, and though it has pretty good image quality with none of the trade offs of some LCDs, I'm still anxious to replace it in a heartbeat for a decent 26" IPS.

I can understand to a point CRT vs LCD, but preferring 4:3 over widecreen is just nonsense IMO. That being said, I'll probably never be obsessed with widescreen enough to go Triplehead. I'd definitely like to see some 16:9 IPS monitors made though.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 23:42 

Actually, I think Reb is right. All this fuss about widescreen hoop-lah. I think we are all kidding our selves, they are over rated and we should all go back to CRT. Think about the much bigger desks we can have! Widescreen LCD aren't cool anymore.

Can anyone direct me to a CRT forum please?

:roll:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 00:24 

I can understand to a point CRT vs LCD, but preferring 4:3 over widecreen is just nonsense IMO.

I dont think he realizes that there are Widescreen CRT's.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788
Quite possibly the best monitor ever made IMO.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 06:55 

and i thought this is a discussion i'd never see on this forum, i was terribly mistaken. :)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 08:38 

[quote]I can understand to a point CRT vs LCD, but preferring 4:3 over widecreen is just nonsense IMO.

Quite possibly the best monitor ever made IMO.I don't know whom you mean by "HE", but I myself am well aware of that monitor, and it comes in both Sony and HP flavors, but made by Sony in each case. I actually considered one of those yrs ago when you could still get them slightly used with a 2yr warranty for $225 on eBay. Damn hard to find them at all anymore though. Funny how the 23" viewable (more like 22.8 I think) is considered small by many now, and what massive bulk it has in depth and weight.

Like I implied with what you quoted, the OP and others here seem to be losing sight of the difference between WS and 4:3, vs CRT and LCD. The two are not necessarily synonymous.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 09:06 

[quote][quote]I can understand to a point CRT vs LCD, but preferring 4:3 over widecreen is just nonsense IMO.

Quite possibly the best monitor ever made IMO.I don't know whom you mean by "HE", but I myself am well aware of that monitor, and it comes in both Sony and HP flavors, but made by Sony in each case. I actually considered one of those yrs ago when you could still get them slightly used with a 2yr warranty for $225 on eBay. Damn hard to find them at all anymore though. Funny how the 23" viewable (more like 22.8 I think) is considered small by many now, and what massive bulk it has in depth and weight.

Like I implied with what you quoted, the OP and others here seem to be losing sight of the difference between WS and 4:3, vs CRT and LCD. The two are not necessarily synonymous.

I was refering to the fact that you pointed out how his poem has both CRT vs LCD and 4:3 vs Widescreen.

It sounds like hes bitter against widescreen simply because there are so few CRT Widescreens.

To this day its my favorite monitor ever produced.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 19:56 
Editors
Editors

Now listen, you LCD and TFT lovers
Tell all your buddies to spread the news

Your Day of Judgment will soon be nigh
As the Lord in his wisdom looks down from on high

Will his battle be lost by mixin' the ratios?
We want beautiful 4:3 monitors, not ones with widescreen

For the CRT is here to stay

Cos the CRT is here to stay!

I'll tell you this, you CRT lover,
cover your head and run for cover.
You are only running 4:3,
I can see you from the sides, but you can't see me.

What I get with my widescreen love,
is a wider screen with a larger FOV.
Just in case you haven't heard:
Oh, baby its a wide world!
:rockout

::TrueWS

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 21:26 

LOL, I thought that I would never leave the CRT world and I also thought I would never need/want a TH2GO. I got tired of watching movies in a letterbox or having to watch a version formatted to fit my 4:3 screen. I also got tired of having to carry a very heavy monitor evertime I wanted to change locations. I had two 21 inch Hitachi crt monitors and the weight made my desktop start sagging over time. I now have a digital triplehead and 3x28" widescreen iF281 branded by I-INC but recognized as Hans -G TFT LCD monitors. I have absolutely no complaints at all. Well, I do have one complaint but it isn't the monitors, it's my ATI 4870. It won't put out more than 4320x900 resolution on triplehead. And when it comes to gaming, the field of view is awsome. I love FSX on my three screens now that I've learned how to position myself so that all three screens are clear and in focus (no blurries at all). Now that I've come this far I will never go back to single monitor, 4:3, or CRT. Stay in the stone age if you must but I like it where I am.