Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 22:19 

My friends from Anantech turned me on to just the site I've been looking for! I play lots of games, old and new.
I recently purchased a Viewsonic VX2433WM monitor that does 1080p. Max resolution is 1920 x 1080. Is this resolution supported by most games? I notice that most benchmarks for video cards run at 1920 x 1200. Am I ok with this monitor or do I need to get one that supports 1200 vertical resolution? I think your site is going to help me greatly in getting 'problem' games working but I'd just like some reassurance.
Thanks all,
John

PS Have an ATI Radeon HD4890 soon to be 2 in Crossfire mode.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 00:32 

Welcome to the forums. :welcome

Yeah Jamason, lots of games support that res now, esp considering lots of PC games are ported from console titles that are played on TVs with a 1920x1080 res. If you by chance run into any that don't (probably older ones), you can always try using 1680x1050.

I could not find whether your monitor has Aspect Correct scaling, which would show 1680x1050 with an undistorted image with slight bars at the side vs stretched, but I did find that those using 1680x1050 on it said the only negative was the text was noticeably less sharp.

I did find that is lacks a Text mode preset, which some displays have, though you will likely get best results steering away from presets on such a display and using the custom color settings, also called manual or "user".

There are some pluses to having a 1920x1080 native res, and the only minuses as mentioned apply to older games that do not support it. You'll be able to view movies and HDTV content on it with a more appropriate aspect ratio and IMHO, 16:9 also beats 16:10 for gaming, as it's more widescreen.

Note that just because a game does not list 1920x1080 in it's menu options does not necessarily mean the game won't play at that res. Often times you can edit a game's ini or config file to custom set the resolution. In fact more often then not, the ones that can't be edited are lazily made console ports, and many if not most of those will support 1920x1080.