Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 05:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 16:16 
Editors
Editors

I remember a few people saying the 2407 is a great monitor, and even heard that it was prefered to the 2408 I got all 3 of them and hooked them up today.

2408 in the middle and the two 2407's on the side.

They are sooo different! The 2408 looks a lot better to me, it has black blacks but yet super white white and a good color right out of the box.

The 2407's look a bit yellow, the black is washed out so I dropped the backlight brightness but as an effect the white is now dim, then if that was not enough the colors are way off too I suppose on there own they would look ok but with the 2408 in the middle they look like crud.

There is like nothing in the way of tweaking on the monitor for the 2407's just brightness and some color... I guess maybe I will have to take this on via the video card drivers?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 19:20 
Editors
Editors

You didn't listen to old Tamlin.... :cry:

You'll have big problems matching the colors. Its a trial and error and they will never be the same due to the backlight giving different gamut.

I would start by dumbing down the 2408wfp and find the lowest common settings. Use the sRGB preset on the 2408 and see how it looks.

White point:

White is not that hard, but fiddeling with the controls can induce some banding, so take it easy.

I can't remember if the 2407 have a range of color temperatures. If it does, then increasing it will make it more blue and decreasing it will make it more yellow.

6500K is red, below yellow and above blue when it comes to the shade of white.

Go into the custom settings of your 2407's and start adjusting the RGB sliders. They determine the color of white. Only use small adjustments and not far down, since you will then reduce the range.

It works like this:

If you increase blue, red and green goes down. If you increase red, blue and green goes down etc. In other words, increase one color and the other colors goes down. This will alter the white. Its what is called color temperature.

Black and white levels:

Brightness down means darker black. However, it will also crush your black levels on some screens (most). This means the lower blacks 0.0.0 and 5.5.5 might not be seperated.

Contrast adjusts the stepping/levels of white. If you adjust this, you can make white levels 250.250.250 and 255.255.255 more distinct as with black.

Focus on these first and report back where it gets you. :)

There is always the "restore factory defaults" if you do something horribly wrong.