Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 08:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NZXT BETA EVO case
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 18:08 

I'm looking to build a new computer and i came across the NZXT Beta EVO computer case and it seems very interesting. It has good cable management, excellent ventilation, meshed filters to prevent dust accumulation in the system and supports 10.5" video cards. It's also very affordable. Has anyone here have any experience with that case? Is there another model in that price range that would be even better?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 20:12 

Seriously, if you can manage to wait a month or two I would keep an eye out for holiday sales on better quality cases. NZXT tends to skimp on the quality of some of the parts of their cases and/or put in design features that are sometimes not robust enough. For instance cheap drive mounts that can break, plastic covers on regular screws vs all metal thumb screws, flimsy panels, cable storage that is too shallow, and screw holes not tapped well enough to get screws started easily.

If you really can't afford much and/or can't find a good sale price on something else and like that brand though, they have an M59 model that is based on the same internal chassis with a different front bezel and windowed/side fan panel that can be had for $50 on rebate at Newegg right now. It has two 120mm fans instead of one. Personally though, I'd mount the side fan in the front for good front to back air flow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058&Tpk=NZXT%20M59

One of my fave cases lately is the Thermaltake Element S, which is getting rave reviews. Currently it's going for $95 at Newegg, but they recently had it on sale for $80, and it could drop to that or even less for the holidays. It has a lot of good sized fans, intelligently made HDD cage, sound dampening, and two mounts for SSDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133077

Note that on both those NZXT cases you cannot fit two 140mm at the top of the case where they made mounts for them without interfering with the top optical drive bay. You can however opt for 120mm fans instead. One person here has the TT Element S and swears by it.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 22:08 

The main reason why price is important to me is that i'm trying to save up for two 5870 in Crossfire or a 5870X2. I'm also planning on buying two additional 22" monitors for an Eyefinity triple screen configuration.

The review was really positive:
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cases/1387-nzxt-beta-evo-case-review

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 02:51 

Well it's hard for me to know really if that's a good deal because I don't know pricing in your area, nor have you confirmed where you are located. In the states however $60 for a case like that isn't necessarily a great deal, esp considering you can get an Antec 300 as low as $40.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 12:13 

I'm in Canada. I considered the Antec 300 but from what i read, 10.5" cards are a really tight fit that might require removing some parts.