Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 07:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 11:28 

A little history first
I bought 2 X 5780's. Decided to try eyefinity so I bought 2 other monitors to go with the one I already had . I had to wait longer for the third monitor and active Displayport to get here. So I ran a dual set up for a little bit until the other stuff arrived. Had no problem. Once the other stuff arrived I set it all up
I disabled crossfire. set up monitors, set up my group and all was good. Monitor that was on the displayport started acting up. Cutting out . I found these forums and have been active on another thread about this issue.
but now I have another Issue. While I was waiting to get another adapter shipped. I thought I would disable the Eyefinity. Enable crossfire, and enjoy my new Dirt2 game in crossfire with just one monitor. and jack up the settings. I disabled the Eyefinity group and I then had 3 duplicate screens .
but one of the monitors displayed black and white. I have spent hours . trying different DVI cables. Removing each GPU and trying each one separate. reinstalling drivers, testing monitors. so far I have eliminated the cables and monitors as the Issue. when a DVI cable is in the second DVI port, that is the one that shows black and white. this happens on both cards. Right now the only way i can have a dual monitor without one being black and white is if i have one connected via HDMI .
also on another note . In CCC overdrive I'm seeing one of my cards acting a little odd compared to how it usually was.
before , both cards would generally be only about 3 degrees Celsius apart from on another while in crossfire. now the # 1 card is 10 degrees Celsius hotter at the same fan speed. I have never overclocked the cards. I do have ATI overdrive Enabled and the sliders show 850MHz for the GPU clock and 1200 MHz for memory clock.
but under current values at the bottom it shows 400 MHz GPU clock, 1200 MHz memory clock for #1 card and . shows 157 MHz GPU clock, 300 MHz memory clock for the # 2 card do those current values change.
so why is my other # 2 DVI ports not putting out no color?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 12:23 

The 400MHZ GPU and 1200MHZ Memory would be the 2D clocks. When the card is stock clocked with no overclocking the 2D clocks apply correctly based on how many monitors you are using so 400Mhz/1200Mhz because you have 3 monitors connected. When you overclock the card this 2D clock check seems to break in the ATI drivers and they apply the 2D clock that would be applied if you only had 1 monitor connected so 157/300.

See this post for more details http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17012&start=42

For this reason you should always apply stock clocks while not gaming to avoid screen flickering and other issues. The best way to do this is disable AMD overdrive and use MSI Afterburner instead and assign hotkeys to overclocking and default profiles.

As for the black and white issue I have no idea sorry.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 20:58 

uninstall all your Catalyst software and display drivers. Reinstall the 9.11 stuff and that should fix it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 23:23 

uninstall all your Catalyst software and display drivers. Reinstall the 9.11 stuff and that should fix it.

I had the 9.11 drivers. but i did clean removal and restoration of drivers anyway (no help). I went back to my last known working setup . Which was Eyefinity , sure enough.... The monitor connected to the 2nd DVI port had no color. Luckily I bought both cards locally and they had 2 in stock. They did a strait up exchange. the 2 I got this time though were the Sapphire vapor X versions. I'm right now going to install just one card for now and see what happens . Wish me luck.

Even though these are nice cards when they work. and I am committed to get this set up to work. because of all the money I have soaked into this to date. This will be my last time Buying ATI products. I will pay the premium Nvidia price for the better reliability. not saying there immune from having issues either. but the odds are better in there favor

Mixelplix If for some reason it happens to these cards I will do a thorough clean of driversand CCC. maybe I missed something. It was late and i was growing tired and scattered brained.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 08:47 

This whole thing just seams to get worse and worse. If you haven't seen the new problem I've had, look here http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17706 .
So I get 2 new cards. and get dual link DVI's instead of the single links I had . I Install just one of the cards, boot up and still the same thing . the one monitor that is conected to the # 2 DVI port is black and white.

So I do as Mixelplix suggested I went through and made sure I cleaned out the drivers and CCC real good In case i didnt get it all off last night. I ran drive sweeper in safe mode and cleaned it all out. and downloaded and Installed Drivers and CCC. still nothing. in fact it is worse. not only is it still black and white but now when I scroll or move a window around I get distortions on the other monitors. here is a video http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/

So now I decied to utilize a clone of my OS I made just prior to all this Eyefinity BS. I boot up the clone and finally I have color working again . but I still have issues when I move a window around I get distortions on the other monitors that looks like This http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/after_installing_clone.htm

I am not taking anymore chances at this point. I unplug both monitors install the other card enable crossfire. and will wait until this eyefinity is stable. I have spent $1200.00 on cables, monitors,adapters,monitor stands. and also gave Sapphire $800 dollars for the cards to start with .

all I have to show for it. Is a couple of good cards in crossfire with crappy drivers. 4 free copies of Dirt 2 and battlestations Pacific. and two blank monitors just sitting there.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 09:41 
Administrators
Administrators

Not sure what I can say other than that sucks a whole heap.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 16:22 

I move a window around I get distortions on the other monitors that looks like This http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/after_installing_clone.htm

McKie I told you what causes that flickering in the other thread. All you need to do is run stock clocks in 2D mode and you won't get it.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 16:34 

I don't even have overdrive enabled on these two new cards I got . they are about as stock as they come.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 20:41 

McKie, how did you do your uninstall? I did it by actually running the 9.11 setup that I downloaded. After the files extract, the second window to pop up is asking to install or uninstall. You should uninstall from that. I would probably try what someone suggested earlier in this thread and not install the HDMI output drivers as well unless you are using your HDMI port. I watched your vids, and I have not seen the same thing on my system getting it setup. If worse comes to worse, you might want to to reformat and do a clean install of windows. Also, check to make sure you have enough power to the cards. Last thing, post those videos with what you have done over at the ATI Eyefinity forums, and maybe an admin can give you some better advice.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:05 

McKie, how did you do your uninstall? I did it by actually running the 9.11 setup that I downloaded. After the files extract, the second window to pop up is asking to install or uninstall. You should uninstall from that. I would probably try what someone suggested earlier in this thread and not install the HDMI output drivers as well unless you are using your HDMI port. I watched your vids, and I have not seen the same thing on my system getting it setup. If worse comes to worse, you might want to to reformat and do a clean install of windows. Also, check to make sure you have enough power to the cards. Last thing, post those videos with what you have done over at the ATI Eyefinity forums, and maybe an admin can give you some better advice.

I uninstalled just as you did and ran the setup. and chose the uninstall then ran drive sweeper in safe mode. I just reinstalled CCC and drivers. I didnt install any of the Video stuff. I am now running my system that was cloned from before any of this set up . I have plenty of power to the cards I am running 1000 w PSU and have the connections installed on the cards appropriately.

ATI Eyefinity forums?????