Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 20:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 02:06 

Hi guys, I posted on HardForum as well, but thought I should share here as well - basically someone from China leaked the firmware update files for the U2410 to fix the dithering. Basically moves your monitor from A00 to A01. I downloaded the files and flashed my monitor via USB. Bit of a gamble but it paid off. Dithering is fixed. Details below.

If people are interested, I can provide the link to the files. Obviously, if you mess it up and brick it, you're on your own.

Likewise, flashing the new firmware might not be healthy for your warranty. However some A00's might have had the new firmware added anyway...so... :wink:

It would seem that after what has been a rather arduous experience, I am finally happy with my U2410. Maybe I'll write that review now...

Woot!

I've updated the firmware and the dithering is GONE! Sweeeet! Massive cheers to whoever uploaded the files.

I now have a beautiful tint-free monitor (was like that from Day 1) and there is absolutely no dithering in any modes! Both sRGB and Adobe RGB are dithering-free.

Gradients are excellent, as before, as is contrast. No banding at all. Gamma points remain as before as well.

So...I am now a (finally) content U2410 owner. No tint, no dithering...an excellent IPS panel with brilliant colors.

If onyl Dell had realized this would happen anyway and simply released the firmware with excellent instructions, it would save everyone hassle!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 04:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Lovely.

I have no tint at all and I don't really see any dithering from one mode to another. It's a huge deal any, as i only use RGB for non-gaming and I never really do any editing past re-encoding video and chopping pictures.

How do I find out which monitor version I have?

And sure, I'll take those links. I doubt I'd bother with the update, but I'm curious.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 04:14 

Here are the files. You need to rename the *.ex file to *.exe.

http://cid-8c9c325b9dbea304.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/DELL?uc=3&nl=1

Your monitor (or box it came in) should have a sticker saying A00 or A01. A01 will have the new firmware.

If you download the files from the link, you can connect your monitor to PC via USB. Then run the ISP Tool software and you can check your firmware version. If it says '90', that is the older firmware.

All at your own risk...just to be clear.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 08:53 

Worked fine for me. Thanks for the update.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 18:54 

Np! Glad it helped.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 05:17 
Editors
Editors

Since this has been an issue for many owners, I'm sticky'ing it for 10 days, so everyone will have a chance to know of this flash. :)

Disclaimer: Flashing your screen might cause damage and WSGF is not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing the screen.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 14:20 

Just an update from Dell -

They (Dell) via their online rep Chris M on the Dell Forums, have stated that if a rev A00 monitor is flashed with this firmware successfully, they will have no way of knowing. So 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' seems to be their 'unofficial advice'.

So in other words, as long as you don't brick the monitor while you flash it, your warranty will be fine. If you brick it, you're on your own.

This is great news for those who have an otherwise excellent A00 and want to fix the dithering. The flashing process is easy and takes about 2-3 minutes.

A tip - once the flash is finished, the monitor will cycle itself. After it cycles, you will need to unplug the monitor's power cable, let it sit for a minute, and then plug it back in. This will finish the process. Some users flashed successfully, and then kinda panicked when they first turned the monitor off after flashing, and it wouldn't turn back on. This is where one needs to fully unplug it to allow the monitor to fully cycle.

Yes, I was one of those users. :D

Good luck!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 18:55 

You don't happen to have a version of the program that works on windows 7 64-bit?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 22:39 

You don't happen to have a version of the program that works on windows 7 64-bit?

No, sorry. Only files I am aware of are the ones posted. Do you have a laptop or another PC running XP or something you could use just to flash it?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 17:04 

nope :( and dell wont give any info about the a01 release even tho some monitors are a01 already.

I was just so lucky to get 3x u2410 a00 hehe. well atleast I don't have any coloration problems.