Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 11:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 11:41 

as the title mentioned, im installing windows 7 on the SDD and everything else on the 2TB HDD. my question is, are there any utilities that should install on the SDD such antivirus or defrag?

i'm mainly gaming and watching movies on the PC....how many partitions do you recommend for the 2 TB? i usually have one partition to backup my personal media potos/HD family movies.. so should i make the HDD into 2 partitions? one for apps/games and the other for media backup?

and last, whats this i hear about making a partition for indexing? i'm clueless when it comes to that.

your help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys! :)

:?:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 11:47 
Editors
Editors

There's a lot of good tips on OCZ forums for this. :)

I suggest you start with this thread:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?67056-Just-what-tweaks-are-needed-in-win7-with-SSD

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:24 

thanks.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:53 
Editors
Editors

No problem. :) Their guides helped me a lot when installing W7 on SSD too.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 17:29 
Editors
Editors

Windows 7 shouldn't need tweaking for SSDs. Worst case scenario is just disable file indexing for me...

Having said that, I just stick Windows + Office + Essential Programs on the SSD, and games and all other files on the HDD. :)

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 20:28 

thanks guys, and that site was extremely helpful. unfortunately during the installation process my video card got fried out of no where so i went out and bought another, then i realized i need a ned PSu to handle it's 600W lol what a day.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:20 
Editors
Editors

thanks guys, and that site was extremely helpful. unfortunately during the installation process my video card got fried out of no where so i went out and bought another, then i realized i need a ned PSu to handle it's 600W lol what a day.

That sucks! :(

There are few things I did under W7 when using SSD. I updated my firmware to make sure it supported trim, turned off harddrive trashing functions like readyboost, readyboot, superfetch, scheduled defrag and indexing. :)

Pagefile should be moved to another harddrive, so to save on read/write's, but I hate noise and prefer my other harddrives to sleep when not used.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 09:28 
Insiders
Insiders

The recommendation from Microsoft is to leave the page file on the SSD, as most calls to it are small random reads.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 10:49 
Editors
Editors

The recommendation from Microsoft is to leave the page file on the SSD, as most calls to it are small random reads.

I think people in SSD forums recommend to turn it off, since SSD's have a fixed numbers of writes. Don't know what impact a pagefile will have to the amounts of writes, but I'd rather buy a new SSD then to have it active paging. :)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 12:54 

Pagefile should be moved to another harddrive, so to save on read/write's, but I hate noise and prefer my other harddrives to sleep when not used.

The way that this guy is using his SSD he would be much better off leaving it on there imo, otherwise he would have very little real benefit to the SSD, considering hes installing games etc on a HDD.

He doesn't really have to worry about the write amplification. By the time that thing goes under with just windows installed on it no one would want to use it anymore anyway.

In my opinion atleast.