Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 11:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 00:56 

hello,

I was unable to find a good post or info and was looking for a recommendation to run Eve Online in windowed mode w/3 diff accounts on 1900x1200 monitors--max 24". Is there a reasonable CPU option and Graphics card that can do this?

Currently running e8600 clocked to 4gz and a gtx 460. If i go w/an i2500k sandybridge setup, could (1) graphics card handle the monitors?

Also, is the ergotech monitor stand that is advertised here on this site a good, affordable triple monitor stand option?

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 16:17 

That is a LOT of pixels for any one card, but Eve is an old game, so you could probably pull off reasonably good FPS with a 6970 or GTX 570. Whatever card you get, make sure it has at least 2gb memory if you're running that resolution.

is the ergotech monitor stand that is advertised here on this site a good...

Yes

...affordable

That's up to you (and your bank account) now isn't it?

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 01:16 

Seraph,

thanks for the reply. If it makes more sense to run 2x 6950s, is it relatively easy to configure the cards so that 1 card runs my primary display, and the other card runs the 2nd and 3rd display? I have never run a dual card setup, btw.

If I am going w/2 cards, instead of one, do u prefer nvidia over ati if i plan to run separate windows, not one large 5700x1200 window?

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 04:05 

Anyone else have any recommendations? I've been reading some more info on how eve works with multimonitor setups and it seems to really slow down on the third monitor. This might warrant going w/a dual card setup, though not crossfire, I guess.

I am thinking to focus on the ability to run two apps/monitors w/one card and the main window on another graphics card, but not clear how I would set this up as of yet.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 22:29 

giving this post a *bump* in hopes of add'l feedback!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 06:36 

time for another bump... :roll:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 07:18 
Insiders
Insiders

I would wager that the hardware would be able to run 3 instances of the game. Though my experience with running more than one full-screen application on Nvidia hardware is mixed, depending on hardware and drier version. At the very least, you'd be able to run one fullscreen, and two windowed.

There's also the matter of being able to run more than one accoutn at once. From teh website:

Code:
Running multiple EVE clients on same computer
   Is it possible to run multiple EVE clients simultaneously on the same computer?

With the Trinity expansion, a new graphical option was introduced to EVE. You now have the option to choose between "Classic" and "Premium" graphics content. Classic graphics content is intended for users with lower-end hardware and that choice uses less system memory than the premium graphics content. Premium graphics content on the other hand is designed for users with high-end hardware and uses more system memory than classic graphics content.

Players now have the option to set some of the clients values themselves, such as cache size, and this comes into play when running more than one client. Lowering said values will decrease minimum memory usage which may enable lower-end hardware to run a single client more efficiently and may enable high-end hardware users to run multiple clients.

Although it is not officially supported by CCP, it is possible to run multiple clients simultaneously. However, doing this has been known to cause some problems with some computers.

When running multiple clients it’s suggested to change the level of cache to “Low” or “None” ( listed under the “Display and Graphics” tab in-game) since the usage of cache will multiply by each client that is run and will thus increase the load on the computer. This applies both when you use premium graphics content and classic graphics content.

Please note that to play EVE with two clients you will need two separate accounts; it is not possible to be online with two separate sessions on the same account.

It's certainly worth a try, right?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 18:07 
Editors
Editors

If you have 2 Graphic cards you don't even need the same, isn't it possible to run a 460 and a 560 in one system, you just put 2 screens on 560 and 1 screen on 460. (or am i wrong here?) Every GPU is rendering what is needed for this Screen.

And, does eve have maximized Window Mode ? some MMOG's have that, it's wonderfull! Window mode, without the bars!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 00:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I used to run multiple instances of Eve at the same time while ice mining. Just maximize each client to a display and it just works.