Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 13:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Capture
PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 03:39 

First off, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. Anyway, I'm looking for ways to play my game console on my laptop so when I'm not at home. I'm trying a few different things but they didn't have the quality I'm looking for. I'm looking to play at 720p on my laptop from my game console.

So I first started with the EasyCap DC60 and it did what I wanted it to do. it can only support up to S-Video. Then I looked around and found the Blackmagic Video Recorder. It supports up to component which should be like 720p. But sadly it's only for Mac. So I was wondering if anyone has went through this same thing and if so did you have any solutions?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Video Capture
PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 05:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Monoprice.com has a few of those products. Most that plug into USB. They'll have many reviews, Q&A's, and the prices are quite good.

What kind of console are we speaking of? If its' anything other than a PS3 of X360, you could always run an emulator.

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 23:57 

So here's more details on what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for a way that I can use a tablet pc or laptop as the screen for my xbox 360 in HD. I have looked over the internet for ways for video input since all most all laptops and tablet pc only have video output such as vga, s-video, or hdmi.

So then I started to look for video capture device and found a few but not what I was looking for. I found the EasyCap DC60 and it did what I wanted but it only did SD (S-video, 480p, something like that). So then I started to look again for others that used component (which does like 720p).

The only thing I could find is the Black Magic Video Recorder. After reading up on the Black Magic video recorder, it only works on Mac. I tried to find other people that have tried using the Black Magic recorder on Windows 7 but had no luck.

One thing I forgot to say is that the device I'm looking for plugs in the usb. I don't want to have to carry an extra power cable to power up another device. I feel that my options are very limited.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 02:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Apparently there's one made my Atlona coming out soon. (or already has)

Though there are DVI to USB adaptors.. perhaps you could get away with slapping a HDMI to DVI on the end of one of those. But then, it'd only carry the video signal. And there would surely be a slight delay between the audio and the video.

You can also buy smaller screens that run off USB power. Not sure if they have separate HDMI or not, but it's an option. Or get one of those little tiny projectors.

Ah, here it is: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5680931&CatId=3667

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 02:19 

That Atlona USB to HDMI Converter looks good but I'm afraid that it only output the signal. I think the Atlona adapter is for computers that don't have a HDMI output. Xbox 360 has a cable adapter that goes to VGA. Maybe there is an adapter to input vga or dvi signal?

I'm only worried about the video signal because I can get the audio from the optical output to my headphones.

My idea is that I can bring my Asus Slate EP121 to do my daily work and then switch over and play my xbox 360 on my down time over the road.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 03:24 

So I did some more browsing over the internet and I did find something very interesting but very pricey. Epiphan VGA2USB, I'm not sure if investing $300 would be worth it. On the plus side, I can capture and device that has a VGA output. What do you think? I'm still trying to find a cheaper solution.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 20:21 

capturing HD with a laptop is very expensive, and difficult to do. You must have a very high end laptop. Also you will have to give up your idea of using the USB port, it's just not enough bandwidth to allow the data to flow without introducing latency to the equation. You can look into a Matrox MXO2, or a Black Magic intensity shuttle. but there are very specific requirements for these devices, so compare your system with the system req's closely. also check AJA they make good quality capture devices, but I'm not familiar with any products they have right now that will do what you want.