Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 11:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 05:20 

I currently have 3x HP LP3065 30" monitors for surround and they are in landscape @ 7680x1600. I'd like to try them in portrait at 4800 x 2560, but unfortunately these monitors do not rotate. Does anyone know of a replacement mount that can hold a 30" LCD in portrait? A single replacement desktop mount for each monitor would be preferable, but I'm open to anything that would accomplish the task. Thanks for any suggestions!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 12:12 
Insiders
Insiders

The inital question that needs to be asked are the displays capable of VESA mouning? VESA is the mounting standard used by all aftermarket mounts and stands. If your displays don't have VESA mount locations on the back, you're pretty much out of luck.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 20:55 

The inital question that needs to be asked are the displays capable of VESA mouning? VESA is the mounting standard used by all aftermarket mounts and stands. If your displays don't have VESA mount locations on the back, you're pretty much out of luck.

according to the specs:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12621_na/12621_na.HTML

it is VESA capable

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 23:07 

No need to replace mount if they are going to be sitting on desk. These monitors do rotate. If you have the stock stand then take that off of the monitor and then take the mounting mechanism off the back of monitor simply rotate that and place back on monitor. Now when you place the stand back on it will be in portrait mode. Also the stand is adjustable.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 23:27 

Thanks guys. I had no idea that I could just remove the stands and rotate them . I thought there would not be enough clearance from the bottom, but with the stands fully extended, it fits with a few millimeters to spare. :D

So I got surround working in portrait @ 4800x2560. It seems in portrait mode, my bezel corrected resolution won't stick, and therefore I have no bezel correction in windows, but games are letting me select the bezel corrected resolution, so it's really not a big deal. I just have to decide if I like it better in portrait. There is less of the stretching effect on the side monitors in portrait (pretty much the reason I wanted to try it). But it seems I notice the bezels themselves a bit more than I did in landscape. I guess everything is a trade-off, until be get bezel-less monitors anyway!

Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: 01 May 2011, 07:26 

i also have 3x 30s in portrait mode. i tried landscape but it was too much. everything on the side monitors was way too stretched like you said and it blows having to turn your head that much. it's almost impossible to keep track of what's happening on the side monitors. personally i think portrait mode rocks, at least with 30s.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 17:30 

I ONLY have 22's at bm corrected 3278x1680. (3x1680x1050 in portrait with bm). Been using portrait for about 2 months now and like it MUCH better than the 5040x1050 landscape that I used for the previous year!. I have a 5970 that of course only has 1 gb per core vram and that res seems to just undercut the vram fill of the 5970.