Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 17:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 11:38 

Yeah I have been looking like mad the past week to decide what 20" widescreen monitor I will buy.

But now that I've pretty much made up my mind (Samsung Syncmaster 205BW), I got a doubt. :/

Checked around the forums a bit and I just realised that so many games work like crap with widescreen.

For example, one of my previous favorite games is World of Warcraft. I don't play it anymore but I will start seriously again when Burning Crusade is released. But apparently you lose alot of view, and that just sucks. Saw that there is a mod that zooms out your viewing angle ALOT, but who wants to play like that, I want to watch my character just from the back.

And when giving the Master Games list a closer look you almost always have to mess with a .cfg or .ini file to get something to work right. And many games just support stretching, which is plain ugly. And not many games give better FOV either.

I just dont know if widescreen gaming is for me. :/
But on the other hand, then the graphics card I just bought(7950GX2) is pretty much wasted since it is made for high resolutions and shows its true power at 1600x1200/1680x1050 and higher.

If I am not buying a 20" widescreen I guess a 19" 5:4 is my only choice.

What do you think? Do you regret buying a WS screen? :/

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:20 
Editors
Editors

So many games work like crap in widescreen? Perhaps. But so many work fine. So you have to use an .ini tweak - that takes, what, a minute? ;)

But if you're dead set against getting a widescreen, why do you have to go 5:4? Why not get a 20" 4:3 1600x1200 panel?

Also, I swear this is like the fourth thread asking this sort of thing this week. Not sniping at you, just puzzled. :)

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:31 
Founder
Founder

WS ratio mimicks real life. It creates a very increased sense of immersion. No regrets for me in the least.
& that's only gaming - using apps & other real life programs make things easier & more productive. WS DVD movie watching is also "the tops".

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:37 
Editors
Editors

Oops. I forgot to answer the last bit. :lol:

No, I don't regret buying a widescreen. My only regret is they take such powerful computers to run to the best of their abilities... :D

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:42 

I use TV-out from my computer to my widescreen TV for downloaded movies/anime so that isnt a factor. ;)

And well I dont think THAT many games support widescreen, most of the new games still need .ini files tweaked. Sure, that isnt a problem but it isnt always working very good when it isnt native.

And well I would very much rather like a 20" with 1600x1200 but for unknown reasons they are alot more expensive. Samsung Syncmaster 204B sure isnt cheap, and that is the only good screen with a "low" price I can find. LG L2013P got 16ms. :/

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:46 
Founder
Founder

Seems like you already have all the answers you need to support your decision :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 12:47 

I don't regret buying my widescreen at all. Even if I didn't game it'd have been a much better purchase than a standard ratio monitor. The extra horizontal space is just that great. As for gaming, all the games I play have working widescreen so I guess it's not a problem for me (hacks and tweaks really don't bother me either).

Also, just because a monitor says its 16ms response time, doesn't mean a heck of a lot. There's no standard as to how they have to report a response time so it would depend if they're reporting G2G or B2W etc.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 13:03 

Seems like you already have all the answers you need to support your decision :wink:

Haha I know, it is just that I always have a hard time deciding, I switch between opinions all the time. :roll:

I just mailed the store I bought my computer from and gave them a offer with some bargaining in, and hopefully I then can afford to buy the Samsung Syncmaster 204B. Otherwise it will probably be a 205BW instead(widescreen yes).

There are too few 1600x1200 20" nowadays. :<

And well regarding the 16ms comment, that LG screen looked very budget so I dont think anyone would recomend it for gaming. ;)

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 13:04 
Editors
Editors

Just get both. 8)

Widescreen rulez the world btw, i'm never going back.
And is sure don't play games that don't support it.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 13:17 

Give me the money to buy both so. 8)

Just saw that Samsung Syncmaster dont support HDCP though. That just sucks when I got a GPU that supports it. :(

Meh, give me some advice on 19" screen! :D

Or maybe I'll just take off the Raptor harddrive from the order and buy a screen for even more money! :/