Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 20:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 02:00 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - World of Warcraft

WOW is the blockbuster MMO from from Blizzard, set in their Warcraft universe. The screenshots included here are from the original release of WOW. The client has been updated continuously, and with the Lich King release was brought into full Hor+. We've updated the info here, but left the original screenshots.

This DR is out of date for the current state of the game (June 2014). Please see the entry for Pandaria.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by skipclarke on 07 May 2016, 07:12, edited 7 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 01:46 

A "C+" doesn't really do the game's wide-screen capabilities justice, imho.

Character creation scenes: There's plenty of vertical space to see the characters in full, so nobody cares if it might be a tiny bit -vert.

World map pillar-boxing: That's only with the default world-map user interface. There are lots of UI mods out there which change this. I use Cartographer which makes this a non-issue. Also, the world map only shows one location at a time, so it doesn't need some sort of special wide-screen mode.

The game's 3D viewport is -vert indeed, but not completely. It's a bit +horiz too. Because this is a 3rd person view game and one can zoom and pan the camera around freely (and also change the max-camera distance in the UI options menu). This isn't a competitive 1st person FPS game where you'd really want all the extra FOV you can get. There's no need for some uberhigh FOV and max +horiz in WoW.

Btw, I'm anal about wide-screen support, just so you know. I didn't buy a Battlefield game in the last 4 years because of their sh*tty wide-screen support, even though I like the games. WoW's great in wide-screen, and I'd recommend every WoW player to get a wide-screen monitor. There are loads of very useful UI mods in WoW, and the extra pixels on the side of the screen are a great place to put them.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 02:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Any vert - game will get at most a C+.

The grading system needs to be as objective as possible. Saying "WoW is more vert - than hor +" is easily measureable, and therefore, objective. Rationalizing this by saying that WoW doesn't need hor + as much as BF2142 does is being subjective. Allow more subjectiveness into the equation than absolutely necessary, and the game's grade will depend more on the tastes of the reviewer than the game's widescreen support, which is a bad thing for this kind of grading system.

Plus, from a technical perspective, making WoW hor + would be a trivial task. If Blizzard wants WSGF certification, that's all they have to do, and there's no reason they couldn't do that.

Also, dollying out is not the same thing as zooming out. Dollying out on a zoomed in game will cause distortion, and furthermore, it won't even undo the vert - consistently. You can read more about this here.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 03:42 
Founder
Founder

Character creation scenes: There's plenty of vertical space to see the characters in full, so nobody cares if it might be a tiny bit -vert.

I actually agree with you that WOW (and any other Vert- MMORPG, such as COH/V) is better in widescreen. But, it is certainly more than "a tiny bit" Vert-. I'm actually working on an article for the site that compares how MMORPGs handle widescreen, and how even a Vert- experience is probably preferable to a 4:3 experience (if only for UI elements such as inventory bags).

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 14:56 

WoW users that read this should attempt to start a thread on the WoW forums to have them fix the vert FOV. Maybe they'll catch on, who knows.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 17:55 

I think we have a chance of 1:100.000.000.000 that blizzard will listen to us.

Just a feeling though.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2007, 14:35 

I think we have a chance of 1:100.000.000.000 that blizzard will listen to us.

Just a feeling though.

At least you're optimistic, lol

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 22:06 

Is there anyway of running WOW at 1024x600?

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 07:32 

If you can select it with windows your resolution, then I think you could use that resolution.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2007, 16:56 

Little bump: I noticed when you are looking at you map, or traveling oversea that you get black bars. I think that it is the standard resolution. :wink: