Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 20:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 06:50 

Warcraft is pretty much the only game i play...

I Have 3 -19" samsung's using the TH2go playing at 3840x1024

My rig is a e6750 @ 3.0ghz on a bfg 680i sli 1333 fsb mobo 3 gigs of 800 speed ram - OS is XP pro 32 bit Gforce 8800gtx 768mb

My Issue is FPS at that res on highest setting im getting 15-25 fps it looks pretty but is choppy as hell.

when i was playing Wow BC i got 55-75 fps - very nice to play :)

but w/ the WOW Lich King it is slamming my performance.

if i set the draw/view distance settings down to almost low
it rises to maybe 25-35 out amongst big scenery
in a inn maybe 45-55fps

I have swapped out nearly every vidcard known to man
with almost no gain [9800gtx+ / gtx 260 OC 1g / even a Radeon hd 4870 x2 -which actually was the worst one...]
also tested sli...

the gtx 260 oc 1 gig was the best one w/ 45-55 in most places at low to med draw distance

i'm told wow doesn't use more than 2 cpu cores and that Vista doesn't give much over XP in wow either.
I have also tested SLI - wow doesn't benefit from SLI.

at this point if i knew what to build w/ confidence and was sure it would rock...i would build it.

Anybody getting good FPS w/ the draw distance on or near high? using 3 19's in a TH2Go 3840x1024

if yes...what is your rig specs? i would love to know what the magic spec is -_-

Thank you for helping me...

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 07:26 

e8500 3.16 ghz duo
sli * evga gtx 280
velociraptor 10k rpm (helps a shitload more than you would think)
4gb ddr2-800

5040 x 1050 @ 57hz

20 fps in dalaran, 30-60 everywhere else (capped at 60 in instances)

Since your res is lower, should work a lot better for you.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 07:35 

what are your game settings? is your visual draw/distance on high?

is your OS xp or vista?

Thank you for the reply L2Phantom
:wink:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 15:59 

I have an E6600 [email protected], 4G mem, GTX280, 5040x1050, WinXP (just for comparison.)

I play windowed/maximized, but with a chopped viewport - see the other WoW thread for the pic I posted there. the changed viewport doesn't make much difference in framerates. I generally get low 20's in busy city areas and 50+ everywhere else.

here's my settings

Resolution tab:

Multisampling: 24-bit color 24-bit depth 8x multisample (amazingly this seems to have very little impact on framerates)

Use UI Scale, Hardware Cursor, Windowed Mode, Maximized, Disable Resize are all checked, the rest are not.

Effects tab:

View Distance is three notches from the right
Env Detail is 2 from right
Tex Res, Ter Det, Grnd Clutter Density, Tex Filter are all low
Spell Detail is in the middle
Grnd Clutter Radius is low
Weather Intensity is one from the left
Shadow Quality is low -- THIS IS THE BIG ONE - they enabled dynamic shadows in LK, apparently for everything - creatures, buildings, etc, they kill my framerate if this is up much at all.

All three checkboxes are enabled.

Hope that helps... good luck

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 16:50 

Thanks, bsoder -That tells me a lot :wink:

btw which drivers are you using for the gtx280?
have you ever crashed or locked up w/ em?

I'm going to settle on the gtx280 oc 1g

the gtx260 oc i tried was causing my system to lock up on me a couple a times a night [ which was frustrating ] but besides that... my performance was similar to yours.[pretty good] on similar settings.

i just wanted to know whether my performance was typical or i was having a problem...don't mind it as much if i know its the best that can be had given our situation.

Having benchmarks based on others is extremely helpful.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 18:15 

I'm on the 180.48 drivers.

I have messed with overclocking my 280 a little, but it doesn't seem to handle it very well (or I'm doing something wrong.) I'm at the 621Mhz it came stock right now. I suspect speeding up the video card wouldn't help nearly as much as the i7/x58/6G/vista combo I'm eying. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 21:50 

So I was messing around with this after posting and I figured out that if I just move the draw distance down to the preset "good" setting from the top slider, my FPS is flawless. I confirmed it with my friend who was completely shocked after trying it as well.

Graphics are still on "max" as in they look good as ever, and I can hardly tell a difference on the draw distance because almost none of the cities or instances in WOTLK are big enough to utilize the draw distance above the good setting. I went from 20 FPS in Dalaran to 40-50 and the lowest I could get spinning my mouse around and jumping ilke a maniac was 35, just from turning this one down... massive upgrade and it looks exactly the same (and I spend most of my time doing pvp, in the cities or instances... so I will never know its even down, even when you're out in the world its hard to notice...).

Shadows are "low", but they are useless anyways; don't even look good. And I'm using Vista 64-bit.

Got to say, I'm much happier with my performance now.. if I don't lag at all in Dalaran, chances are nothing is going to lag. I did fine in massive battles in Wintergrasp too.

Good luck and I just try what I suggested, it will blow your mind how much of a difference something so trivial makes on triple screen.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 17:53 

I read one of the longest threads regarding WoW and the lich kings new FPS problems - However ther is a ton of [blue admin responses] useful info in it.
I found it very interesting.

people w/ hi end rigs w/ FPS issues and some w/ lower ones w/o FPS issues...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11829372874&sid=1&pageNo=1

EDIT: wow i just got a huge boost from unchecking -Reduce Input Latency
i went up from 26fps -- to 40-60fps

read this from a admin on page 18 of that thread.

You never want Reduce Input Latency on systems that at least meet the system requirements. They're for the very old and onboard cards that have trouble drawing/keeping up with the mouse cursor and needs to be synced to your framerate to make it look halfway decent. Mouse over the menu and you'll see that the setting description will warn you of a FPS hit.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 21:53 

Yep unfortunately mine was already off, but I found a sweet spot in my draw distance that upped my performance significantly. Thanks for the link though, that's definitely interesting.

I think I'm just going to keep Shadows off and draw distance at the 'Good' setting. I found that after level 80 I never find myself just out in the world, but doing instances and what not where I can never tell the distance (or in cities, battlegrounds, arenas.. etc.) I can turn it up, but I think I like the feel of 60 fps more than 30 with it cranked out in the world.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 15:50 

that thread was interesting... and I got one very useful bit out of it. I'm using Questhelper, and setting

/qh perf 5%

upped my framerate a good chunk, probably 20%. Nice. :)