Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 23:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 05:04 

I'm using Matrox TH2G - not SoftTH

Most of my gaming is done @ 3840x1024 - that's pretty much why i check out this forum :)

BUT..(there's always a but)

some of my favourite game (Company of Heroes to name just one) just can't run on 3 displays because of

a) looks like hell on 3 monitors
b) i'd need a rig-of-doom to play this game with everything maxed out

When i go back to 1280x1024 - the left monitor is being used - did anyone figure out a way to USE THE CENTER monitor for single monitor gaming ?

Thx!
N

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 07:12 
Insiders
Insiders

If it is a DIGITAL TH2Go then update the firmware, note that from the original (for me) firmware there have been 2 updates, one that makes the centre monitor the default, then a second which enables triple wide (and you can select the single monitor you want). Either will do the job for you but I imagine you will only be able to find the newest (trip wide) one.

Here is the TOPIC: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9196

Also when you update, for the sake of all that is Surround Gaming, do a back up of your original firmware...not to have a back up but if the backup file has some size (from memory it was 500kb?? don't know tho') and is not 1Kb then you know the firmware is talking to the unit correctly. If you try and update without checking this..like me and a couple of others..your unit will have to go back to Matrox to get flashed.

You then will be able to select what mon is your standard one.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 14:29 
Editors
Editors

Or... Simply download the latest PowerDesk-SE/GXM, it has a new button to Swap Displays, letting you set the center screen as the default one :D You can then save your display setups (3840x1024, 1280x1024 on the center screen, etc.) and assign a hotkey for switching between them and instantly set your desktop to the right resolution before you launch a game !
(The firmware update is really unnecessary here, and I'm not even sure it'd help. I have it and the default single screen without using GXM is... the right one) :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 22:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh maybe you are right :oops: I just remember (initially) I had to update the firmware to get the centre screen. But if it is all done by the GXM now....well that is easier eh? Definitely try that first, the how to is in the thread I posted I just thought you had to have the new firmware as well:)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 06:40 

:oops:

there has to be something i'm missing then -

- I just installed the new Dec 19th GXM (thanks for pointing this out!)
- I figured the "swap" active window

BUT

Didnt solved my issue - when using the wizard to setup in "single monitor" it automatically selects the "left one". and if i just launch a game in 3840x1024, it shuts off the center and right one and swapping active monitor doesnt work :cry:

Simply put - unlesss i play my games in windowed-mode - i cant play any 1280x1024 games on my center monitor

The interface to change mode is pretty useless to me since, NO single monitor modes are supported (i *have to use the wizard to set in a single monitor mode)

I must be missing a small detail somewhere!
:)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 14:34 
Editors
Editors

Forget the wizard for now.
Change your desktop res to 1280x1024, Swap displays in GXM till the center monitor is active, then save in Display Setups... and finally assign a Hotkey for switching display modes.
When it's done, launch a game in 1280x1024. Is it not centered ?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 05:15 

first off -thx for those who posted to help out.

..and i just realize why i'm not able to do it - i don't have any SWAP options in my GXM...even the help file mentions a "swap menu" - but it seems i dont have this option. am i missing an update of some sorts ?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 14:09 
Editors
Editors

Did you download & install the latest version of Powerdesk-SE/GXM ? (2.04) Did you point to GXM.ini as the monitor driver ?

The 'Swap displays' button should be on the GXM Setup page (where you're supposed to manage your resolution list). Please post a screenshot of your GXM Setup window if the button's really not there.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 18:40 

- I seem to be updated to the latest GXM
- Seem to use the proper .ini for monitor

.. and i seem to be missing something lol . as usual, it's probably something easy - but i don't seem to be able to put my finger on it.

Merci du coup de main :)
N

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2008, 06:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Bizarre.....it should be there. I have the same version as you and it is on mine :?

I dunno how to help....