Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 06:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 18:41 

Ok, so I entered the rabbit hole. I went ahead and built my home office with 3 24" monitors and didn't realize the PITA this was to get 3 monitors working in both games & productivity apps.

My main problems are thus:

[list][*]I want to run apps @ the native resolution[/*:m]
[*]I want to run games across 3 screens[/*:m]
[*]I don't want my wife to have to mess with stuff to get daily computing needs accomplished[/*:m][/list:u]

And that's about it.

How can I accomplish this?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:00 

I guess another factor to consider is this:

Does TH2G / SoftTH only kick-in when I run games, or does it "permanently" change my monitor in Windows to be 1 really wide monitor?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 20:01 
Insiders
Insiders

If you don't mind the scaling then you can use the DTH2GO for only gaming, and in plain windows you can have the DTH2GO driving only the center monitor at 1920x1200. Then you can have just a small card doing the side monitors. This only works with monitors that have dual inputs and can switch between them on demand.

SoftTH doesn't require a DTH2GO, but requires a secondary card, and has a significant performance hit on games. I don't think it makes global changes to your monitor configuration so regular windows should be OK.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 20:29 

If you don't mind the scaling then you can use the DTH2GO for only gaming, and in plain windows you can have the DTH2GO driving only the center monitor at 1920x1200. Then you can have just a small card doing the side monitors. This only works with monitors that have dual inputs and can switch between them on demand.

That's a fan-f***ing-tastic idea. The monitors have HDMI & DVI. I'm pretty sure they'll auto-switch, but would the 2nd card "blank" the side monitors so that they know to switch to the other input?