Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 13:56 
Editors
Editors

I know I saw at least one other person with the issue. A line going across the center monitor near the bottom where the line is a effect similar to tearing if you do not use vsync but what the problem really is is a slower refresh or sync with just that one monitor in just that one place.

You will only see it while in motion it doesn't have to be in a game. I can take this windowed forum window and drag it across all 3 screens in eyefinity SLS mode and 2 of the screens are perfect but in that one spot on the center monitor you see it has a delay causing the window to tear, the faster I move the larger the tear.

So what this equates to is a ominous line going across most of your games making you feel like you have vsync off. I thought it was my DP monitor only as once upon a time I had it on my right monitor and not my center, but now its on my center so its a lot more bothersome so it must be related to something driver/software and not hardware/wiring.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 15:54 

Try disabling ATI Overdrive and see if it goes away.

I had an issue that seems similar to what you describe where the bottom of the screen "flickers" every so often. The other two monitors are fine, it happens on my center display as well.

Disabled ATI overdrive and it no longer occurs.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 18:04 
Editors
Editors

overdrive is not enabled in my case.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 21:00 
Insiders
Insiders

I get the same issue with overdrive as well, I know it is not a help for you XUSMC. If I overclock or underclock with OD or any other tool, the tearing appears until I hit default.

Have you tried the BETA DiRT2 drivers? That may sort it.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 13:38 
Editors
Editors

I wanted to test to see what its like with overdrive on... and OUCH problem is way worse.

I get like a severe artifact like distortion about 2/3 up on my left monitor and 1/5 up on my center monitor. Doing almost anything other than just moving my mouse or typing causes a sever desync of the screen in those areas.

Opened a game to test it and I get the "line" right there in exactly those two spots. Its not artifacts its just a desync or a slower refresh or something. The desktop error is a lot worse than in game it causes my background to go all crazy and the entire part of the desktop below the line to get all garbled untill I stop doing what ever action I am doing at the time to cause it.

Just draging a window around makes it go crazy. Shame I really wanted to turn on overdrive and overclock the cards. Dirt 2 can push me into the 20's on FPS so a few extra frames would have really helped.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 15:01 

I also get the line, for me it's about and inch and a half from the bottom of my centre screen. For the record I'm using a 5770 with a 1 dp monitor, a dvi and finally a VGA be ause I'm poor :). The line was on my left monitor but thanks to the flickering issue I had to move my monitors around for eyefinity rather than adjust their positions in the driver.

I'd love to hear of a solution to this as it's annoying the hell out of me. I normally play eve where it less of an issue but on anything else it's a pain.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 17:35 
Editors
Editors

Upon further inspection I actually have 2 lines, one near the bottom of the center and one about 1/3 up on the left. I didnt really notice it until I was looking for it. Though it seems the 2nd line is not nearly as bad so its harder to notice.

I tried to overclock with the AMD GPU tool and while it did seem to make it worse it was not the same effect as enabling ati overdrive. Also I crashed at only 600/900 or what ever the standard max is, so my cards cant overclock very well at all.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:24 

hey, is this something similar to what i am experiencing.

http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/after_installing_clone.htm

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:54 
Editors
Editors

hey, is this something similar to what i am experiencing.

http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/after_installing_clone.htm

Yep looks the same, my lines are in the same two places just on the left and center monitor while yours is the two outside ones.

If you drag a window left and right across those lines you should see some tearing where the bottom below the "line" cant refresh as fast.

If you would be as to so kind to test and see if it has the same effect for you.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 22:02 

I watched that video and that is exactly what was happening to me.

So I might have been the person you were referring to. And I have noticed that it does this while switching from eyefinity to extended this does not happen while in eyefinity mode so I only get tearing while in extended.

I found out that if I keep switching back and forth or running the extended dekstop shortcut I created a few times it will fix itself. This does not always happen but sometimes it does and again if I set it to extended again while it is already in extended the problem will go away. Sometimes it takes a few trys.

I honestly think most all of the eyefinity problems are from the driver and catalyst. I am still going strong with my dell adapter but when I switch from eyefinity to extended sometimes I get this tearing and have also exp my DP to DVI monitor sometimes will flash and turn off while doing this. So I just keep switching back and forth till it fixes itself. Also while switching from extended to eyefinity it does take the desktop shortcut three executes to work. This has to be a problem with catalyst.

Lets all hope they release a new driver here soon that fixes these problems.