Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2010, 04:15 

For a quick read skip to the bottom bold font question to bypass my long winded never ending post. :)

Just ordered two Asus 23" monitors from newegg. I might return one of them if I can get my current 24" Samsung 16:10 and Acer 16:9 to work well with it.
(yes i understand matching monitors is ideal but first I want to work with what I got)

My goal is keep my 16:10 24" monitor in the center but to maintain aspect ratio on it so it would run with black bars while in eyefinity resolutions. Currently I haven't been able to test two 23" and one 24" so I have played around with only the 23 and 24. When I get into eyefinity resolutions the 24" stretches the image to fill my 16:10 monitor. I would like it to have black bars so I have almost matching screen size all the way across and so it won't be stretched for image sake.

If I run regular extended display I can change my 24 (1920x1200) and run it at 1920x1080 with the black bars BUT once in eyefinity I have NO option to maintain aspect ratio on the 24" 16:10. I do not see an option under my Samsung 245BW menu either to maintain aspect ratio or to not scale to fit,etc.

Under CCC Attributes:
-Image Scaling - Enabled GPU Scaling
-Won't allow me to change it to "Maintain aspect ratio" while running spanned monitors. Only in a extended mode setup will the 24 maintain aspect ratio WITH the top/bottom black bars which is what I want while running eyefinity with the smaller 23's.

IDeas? If I can't get it working I might have to part with my 24" and just keep the 2nd Asus 23" that is soon to arrive. So I would then have a Acer 23" in the center and two Asus 23" on the sides. I really would like to keep the 24" though since I prefer the 16:10 AR(24" 16:10 are not cheap enough for my limited budget to buy two of them)

Main question : How can I keep my 16:10 ratio center monitor to run a 16:9 resolution without stretching the image. I want the black bars so it pairs up better with my side 23" 16:9 monitors. What is the work around to allow the one 24" 16:10 to maintain its aspect ratio while running the lower 1920x1080?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 21:04 

Unless I missed something, your problem is that the center 16:10 monitor is stretching the image to fill its screen when you have Eyefinity on, correct?

The option you are looking for should be in the monitor's settings menu, not in the Eyefinity setup menus. The setting for my HP monitor is called "Custom Scaling", and you are looking for a 1:1 ratio so that it only uses the 1920x1080 center of the monitor for display, and you get 60 pixels of black bar on the top and bottom of the image.

Hope that helps somehow, I have a very similar setup with a central 16:10 24" HP monitor, and 2x 16:9 23.6" ASUS monitors. And for the record, the 23.6" is the diagonal size you want for a perfect screen size match with a 16:10 24"; a 23" isn't going to be large enough to match perfectly. Do the math for yourself if you want the exact size numbers for proof.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 17:17 

I do not see an option under my Samsung 245BW menu either to maintain aspect ratio or to not scale to fit,etc.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was hoping there would be something on the PC side settings wise that would fix it since my monitor doesn't seem to have that option. :cheers

Think I will just sell my 24" since I have two Asus 23" on the way and currently trying out my Acer 23" as primary. ALready bought the 3monitor Ergotech stand. If my 24" did support 1:1 scaling then I most likely would keep it but I don't want any stretching going on while gaming. Non gaming I will run it in extended mode anyway so the 24" would run correctly then.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 06:35 

Sold the 24" Samsung for $200. The two additional Asus 23" ran me $260 AR so not a bad trade even though my main screen is smaller. Now I have three smaller screens but should be pretty cool I bet. :triplewide