Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 16:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trine: Detailed Report
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 17:55 
Editors
Editors

The demo works like a charm in Wide TripleHead through the same edit.
Oddly, some shader FX are totally freakin' out in Surround. The heat haze above the torches on the screenies below is barely visible on a still picture in 4:3 or ws, but it's hard to miss in 5040x1050...

4:3 (1000-pixel wide portion of a 1400x1050 screenshot)

WTH (1000-pixel wide portion of a 5040x1050 screenshot)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 20:11 
Insiders
Insiders

The loading screen, how do you know it's "correct" in 16:9? It shows just as much in 16:10 as it does in 16:9, only it's not stretched out as much.

The 16:10 screen is the same as the 16:9 screen except it's squished. You can tell just by looking at the objects, especially the base of the pen, that it's squished.

How? Aside from the title screen, which is quite a tiny part of the game (no, coming first does NOT make the title screen a "massive" part of the game), how does 4:3 not look right?

This was part of the same statement as the title screen. Stop taking things apart.

Yes, the title screen is a big thing. It's one of the first things that you see when you start the game and it's the presentation that says "Hey, here's our game, hop in."

It's entirely possible that due to a lack of communication, an artist made a title screen in 16:9 but the programmers assumed it would be 4:3 and programmed the title screen to scale accordingly, which is a more plausible explanation than asserting that a title screen proves the entire game revolves around 16:9.

You're terrible. "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Edit:
Also, considering all screenshots, videos, etc. on their official site, and things mentioned by staff in their forums all have to do with them using widescreen, and also the fact that the game is developed for the 360 and PS3, as well, just goes to show more than they developed the game using 16:9 as a baseline. There's far more pointing to 16:9 as the baseline than 4:3.

There's really no point in arguing with you. You're as old and stubborn as always. You're dead-set on thinking everything is designed for 4:3 unless proven otherwise. You're just blind. Don't reply to my post because it's just going to be more bullshit stacked on top of bullshit, and I will not reply to it.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 21:02 
Insiders
Insiders

The 16:10 screen is the same as the 16:9 screen except it's squished.

You're just re-iterating what I said. Again, how do you know 16:9 is right and not 16:10?

Yes, the title screen is a big thing. It's one of the first things that you see when you start the game and it's the presentation that says "Hey, here's our game, hop in."

Books and covers, dopefish. A title screen is not a major component of a game, and never was. You could change the title screen to almost anything, and the game would be 99% unaffected.

You're terrible. "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

It's more along the lines of "I reject your theory based on ridiculously flimsy and circumstantial evidence and offer a more plausible one."

You're dead-set on thinking everything is designed for 4:3 unless proven otherwise.

And I have good reasons for it too. The system works fine as it is - even with games such as Mass Effect where there is rather solid evidence suggesting a 16:9 baseline, it fits just fine into a system where we start by looking at 4:3 and see what happens when the aspect ratio goes up.

The system is based on criteria that are followed as absolutely as possible - to rewrite the system so that a game like Trine begins by looking at 16:9 and seeing what happens when you go both down and up would not only be needlessly complicated, but it would also require a set of criteria used to determine that a game is 16:9. Nobody has proposed any such criteria that Trine satisfies.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 00:53 
Editors
Editors

Not this again eh. You can resurrect one of the countless threads about this on the Insider forums to discuss it.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 14:25 
Editors
Editors

2560x1600 is not natively supported in the launcher app. Gotta edit configoptions.txt again, then it works great. (Effects like heat haze are also more pronounced in 2560x1600 than in any other 16:10 resolution, so it seems these FX are affected by the pixel count, not the aspect ratio.)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 19:59 
Founder
Founder

Not this again eh. You can resurrect one of the countless threads about this on the Insider forums to discuss it.

ABSOLUTELY ENOUGH of this "16:9 is or isn't right" or "how do you know 16:9 is right" crap. I'm done with it. If it comes up again, I'm banning whoever starts it - I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE.

It is dopefishe's opinion that 16:9 is the "right" aspect for the game. Based on his experience, and his take on the screens, that is his opinion. Stop trying to prove it right or wrong.

But you know what, I agree with him. The circles on the 16:10 inventory screen are ovals. They are actually circles on the 16:9 screen. The text on the 16:10 screen looks cramped, and the kerning looks "off." It looks good and flows properly on the 16:9 screen. The glass "sphere" doesn't look like one on the 16:10 cut-scene. It looks squished.

So, unless someone emails the the developer and gets an answer from them - NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW FOR 100%. So, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and feel free to express your opinion of what the baseline aspect is. Say it once and be done.

But, I'm tired of the nit-picking and multi-quoted posts on something that is an opinion of when a game "looks right." It doesn't matter what the baseline is, it doesn't all scale properly at all aspects - END OF STORY.

And do not pick up old threads in the Insider section either. I'm tired of seeing it everywhere. If you have a problem with these statements, send me a PM.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 21:47 

There are some FMVs in the game. When I display in 1920x1200 the 16:9 anamorphism moves a few pixels of the image to the bottom of the screen. Anyone else getting this?

And it's not showing up in screenshots. Lovely.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 22:02 

Just read the initial post again. I already mentioned it there. So nope, you're not alone. ;)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 22:38 

Oh! Whoops. In that case, I uh, confirm the behavior. :D

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 00:19 

Just a minor update, but the latest patch for Trine (1.06) has fixed the issue of the cursor being stretched in widescreen. Probably doesn't affect the grade, but at least one of the blemishes has been fixed.