Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 21:30 
Editors
Editors

Crysis @ 25.6 megapixels

I have never run across this information before. CryEngine was obviously designed with future hardware in mind, but apparently it will be able to handle supersized displays as well. Neat stuff.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 21:57 
Editors
Editors

They already touted a load of features that brought systems to their knees - can you imagine what people would have said if Crytek had mentioned that? ;)

Probably would have blamed Crytek for the lack of available 6400x4000 screens. And the price of them.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 02:17 

impressive performance.

I guess with this engine they will just need small patches to it for a couple of years before they need a new one which should mean decreased development costs for next games...

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 02:21 

impressive performance.

I guess with this engine they will just need small patches to it for a couple of years before they need a new one which should mean decreased development costs for next games...

They're already moving onto CryEngine 3 so I guess not.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 03:14 
Editors
Editors

Probably would have blamed Crytek for the lack of available 6400x4000 screens. And the price of them.

:lol: I think you'd be correct.

More awesome-looking stuff from the Cry-community.

Reminds me of the contest-winning Blade Runner recreation that a team made in the Sandbox editor. After seeing these pics I have to say that the mod community is doing a much more impressive job of selling CryEngine's graphics power than Crytek ever has.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 03:35 

More awesome-looking stuff from the Cry-community.

Reminds me of the contest-winning Blade Runner recreation that a team made in the Sandbox editor. After seeing these pics I have to say that the mod community is doing a much more impressive job of selling CryEngine's graphics power than Crytek ever has.

wow ! very nice stuff !

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 11:52 

Why didn't Crytek tout this feature?

"We tested the in-game Downsampling on a Samsung Syncmaster 305T Plus which has a native resolution of 2,560 x 1,600 pixels. 5,120 x 3,200 pixels forced via the console result in 4x SSAA (2x2 OGSSAA), 6,400 x 4,000 pixels even in 6.25x SSAA (2.5 x 2.5). More is not possible without slowing the game down to slide show speed - even at these settings the framerate reaches single digit values only."

That's why, no sense in touting something that forces you to play at single digit frame rates. Considering Crysis came out well before the GTX 285 and two of them scaling with the much better SLI cabapable GT200 still can't do it without poking along at single digit frame rates, I can't see anyone getting worked up about it. I don't agree with all the resource hog trash talk, but Crysis was already suffering from a lot of consumer angst without this kind of silliness.