Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Sep 2024, 19:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 19:42 

I have quick question for the gurus here. Toying with the idea of a 3 projector arrangement. Currently I am projecting an image of 106"x 81" on a 115" x 87" screen. with a throw of 18 feet as recomended by Mitsubish XD350U @1024x768 @1600x1200 compressed.

This has been pretty cool for gaming since its nice and large. But may not be practical or needed for a three screen setup.

1- what angle do the side have to be at generally to get realistic effect without feeling that the display has been bent over too far? and the image is cornering too much?

2- what throw distance would be about minimum while still getting a large display / good image. What lense would thus be needed. Since I may not be able to pull back 18 feet coming from three angles?

3- what size screen would still maintain the full on movie theater gaming effect while possibly downsizing a bit? or should I downsize? Having 40"-60" would definitly (?) be a waist if using a projector but mabye 80-100" would look / feel just as immersive???

4- edge blending will not be possible I can't afford $2,000 for a nice device like that, I am hoping for eyefinity to handle three screens with some overlap or gap. I am looking do this without too much cost, have seen projectors similar to mine on ebay for $300+/- screens for $100-$300. But maybe over time could add some bells and whistles.

5- Attached is a image of the general layout I would try to make (with probably smaller screens than this). The area the screens would be are in an "L" Shape Corner part of the room, the left side has office furniture, not a huge amount of space. The setup should roll up and pretty much dissapear during the day. Probably up to the cieling. I kind of want it all i know any advise appreciated like the right size screens, arrangement, good (short maybe) throw distance. Etc.

As you could see this would fairly dominate the area, and the screens to me seem to be too far angled, but I know nothing of 3 screen setups and what to do to get the right look, this is just using my existing screen and throw three times since that is all i know.. I dont really think could use this size screens for x 3 setup but what the hey right think big scale back as needed, seeking some serious advice here. thank you!. Or should i just not even bother for a office space such as this?

last question sorry this is long.. how about other options, is this the best way to go. How about a gaint curved screen that would slide out on a track like a shower curtain? other ideas? bigger is better imho.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 19:45 

first things first, rent a couple of projectors for a weekend off an av retal company and test things out. they wont be fullhd, but best way to try before buying

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 23:10 

first things first, rent a couple of projectors for a weekend off an av retal company and test things out. they wont be fullhd, but best way to try before buying
good idea..
revised:

looking at the area i am seeing probably cannot get more than 90" wide screens.
they would have to be at 45 degree angles. is that too severe?
also would have a fairly large gap between the screen if used the older Da-Lite model "C" spring rollup type due to the size of the casing.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 07:20 
Insiders
Insiders

I really dislike the idea of three pull-down screens, as the screen edges line up will never look right. I'd suggest instead to make a metal conduit frame and strech a single piece of screen material over it. If possable, make the shell bolt-together so it can be put up and taken down as needed and just roll up the screen and put it away in a tube. You really need to be mindful of lens throw. Don't just pick up random projectors and expect them to throw a decent size projection. Give serious thought to 0.5:1 or 0.6:1 short-throw projectors.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 16:28 

I really dislike the idea of three pull-down screens, as the screen edges line up will never look right. I'd suggest instead to make a metal conduit frame and strech a single piece of screen material over it. If possable, make the shell bolt-together so it can be put up and taken down as needed and just roll up the screen and put it away in a tube. You really need to be mindful of lens throw. Don't just pick up random projectors and expect them to throw a decent size projection. Give serious thought to 0.5:1 or 0.6:1 short-throw projectors.

i really like this idea, looking at pictures of curved screens they look so much better. I don't understand how you mention to unroll it though. Would you roll it left to right? can you make a really basic sketch of this? or show me a link? I weld so i could make this if I had more info.

as far as the throw i think my XD350U will do it. If I go ahead on this project I could by two more XD300Us for cheap like $350 each, I dont have they money to anti up for 3 1080p projectors, so each one would be pushing 1024x768 using an eyefinity 5870 would be the plan.

Why is the short-throw critical. Using the calculations from Mitsubishi site a 90" display would need about 11-12 feet back. Is this a bad thing if can fit the projectors. Thanks for help!

I dont see a way to make this easily rollup or breakdown.

if it is to work like a shower curtain then there can be no supports. Sorry maybe not getting it.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 20:50 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]I really dislike the idea of three pull-down screens, as the screen edges line up will never look right. I'd suggest instead to make a metal conduit frame and strech a single piece of screen material over it. If possable, make the shell bolt-together so it can be put up and taken down as needed and just roll up the screen and put it away in a tube. You really need to be mindful of lens throw. Don't just pick up random projectors and expect them to throw a decent size projection. Give serious thought to 0.5:1 or 0.6:1 short-throw projectors.

i really like this idea, looking at pictures of curved screens they look so much better. I don't understand how you mention to unroll it though. Would you roll it left to right? can you make a really basic sketch of this? or show me a link? I weld so i could make this if I had more info.

as far as the throw i think my XD350U will do it. If I go ahead on this project I could by two more XD300Us for cheap like $350 each, I dont have they money to anti up for 3 1080p projectors, so each one would be pushing 1024x768 using an eyefinity 5870 would be the plan.

Why is the short-throw critical. Using the calculations from Mitsubishi site a 90" display would need about 11-12 feet back. Is this a bad thing if can fit the projectors. Thanks for help!

if it is to work like a shower curtain then there can be no supports. Sorry maybe not getting it.

My thought would be to stretch the screen material over the frame and affix it with bungees or Velcro. I'm in the process of redesigning my current screen, so I've not worked out the specifics on how I might affix the screen material yet. My priority on my new screen build is portability so it can be put up and taken down as needed though.

What most people run into is the issue of having enough space to project straight on centered for each arc of the screen with the projectors. Not many people have the ability to throw 11-12 foot back from three different locations onto the screen. Projection lens throw can be the single largest issue for most people because they simply don't have the ability to mount the projectors so far back to do it right. That is offset by using short-throws but if you have the space, you're in good shape. :)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 22:37 

[quote][quote]I really dislike the idea of three pull-down screens, as the screen edges line up will never look right. I'd suggest instead to make a metal conduit frame and strech a single piece of screen material over it. If possable, make the shell bolt-together so it can be put up and taken down as needed and just roll up the screen and put it away in a tube. You really need to be mindful of lens throw. Don't just pick up random projectors and expect them to throw a decent size projection. Give serious thought to 0.5:1 or 0.6:1 short-throw projectors.

My thought would be to stretch the screen material over the frame and affix it with bungees or Velcro. I'm in the process of redesigning my current screen, so I've not worked out the specifics on how I might affix the screen material yet. My priority on my new screen build is portability so it can be put up and taken down as needed though.

What most people run into is the issue of having enough space to project straight on centered for each arc of the screen with the projectors. Not many people have the ability to throw 11-12 foot back from three different locations onto the screen. Projection lens throw can be the single largest issue for most people because they simply don't have the ability to mount the projectors so far back to do it right. That is offset by using short-throws but if you have the space, you're in good shape. :)

cool the areais L shape so there might be hope as you can see from the picture. problem is dont really want to take up %50 of the working space during the day. problem is how to affix the screen so its nice and curved without having a permanent metal / wood frame behind it. I may just go for the drop down screen method for now since would not have to buy curve adjustment software, budget is really tight.. Your curved setup looks really nice though. I have seen 90" da-lite model "b" screens for $150 including shipping, that pretty dam good, of course it all adds up. somethign to work twards i guess.

Da-Lite has a ton of different screen materials, any clue as to which will give best contrast? I have talked with them but the verdict was inconclusive.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 02:01 

This is my latest idea a track that has a spiral in it. wheels similar to shower door wheels inside and bracket hanging out of each one, also string inside track will pull all the screen back into the spiral, i expect allot of resistance but i does all go away this method, i am wondering if the bottom of the screen would need to be attached at all.. btw that spiral rollup at the end has the correct length to fit the whole screen. 11 revolutions starting with 4" inner diametor and working out about .25" a turn.

thanks for advise. if this is all working I may provide kits if anyone is interested once i test it out. panarama and rollup anyone?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 16:44 
Insiders
Insiders

I really like the latest design. One of the biggest issues with these kind of builds is optimizing the space the screen uses and sometimes even having the ability to put up and take down the screen as needed. I'm really liking the concept of corner screens more as I look at the geometry of it and how it's a bit less demanding on room space.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 00:46 

Dont think it was mentioned, but you can't project onto curved screens without an expensive lens and a very specific radius of screen.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200