Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 16:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 19:53 

Hey guys! I'm new to Eyefinity, I got everything working properly but there's a problem when I run my games across my 3 screens.. I think I saw something about it somewhere on these forums but I can't remember what it said.. ANYWAYS, whenever I get into a game, there's a weird black line that moves from the top to the bottom of my center screen and its kinda blotchy as well (Like a TV when you have a bad connection). It's not exactly "game breaking" but it is rather annoying, so if you have any information on the matter it's greatly appreciated, thanks!

Post subject: you might mean Tearing ?
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 23:32 
Editors
Editors

you might mean Tearing ?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 09:58 

I guess so,not sure what it's called but that could be it.. Do you know any other posts about this subject?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 10:55 
Administrators
Administrators

What you described is called screen tearing, and it largely caused when your graphics cards isn't rending a steady frame rate, which often happens if you don't have VSync on, turning VSync on should fix your issue, besides that there is nothing you or anyone else can do, its a product of the graphics card / drivers.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 11:14 

I've got the same issue, but it seems to be an AMD driver issue (that like most of the other 'issues' has stuck around through *alot* of driver revisions) that vsync with any combination of frame buffering doesn't seem to be able to fix. I'm not saying don't bother trying vsync (and don't forget there are ways to force triple buffering if you get an annoying performance hit from vsync) since it might just work for you. I'm just saying be prepared for it not to work. Fingers crossed for you. I have to say I'm one of the people who's not too happy with AMD/ATI's drivers since I bought my 5870 a while back. At least I've found a fix on here so I finally overclock my card using overdrive (so that's one less majorly annoying problem that never got fixed).

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 12:15 
Administrators
Administrators

I literally only just swapped back to NVIDIA because I had had enough of AMDs drivers causing me issues, can't complain about their hardware, they just need to sort there drivers out.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Post subject: Yeah, turning on V-sync
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 21:10 

Yeah, turning on V-sync seemed to work! Thanks so much guys !!!! :bigsmile:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 20:51 

I literally only just swapped back to NVIDIA because I had had enough of AMDs drivers causing me issues, can't complain about their hardware, they just need to sort there drivers out.

well, good for you but this is not everyones solution.

I also have some weird problems since after 12.4 drivers.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalsaO3auuc

The past days ago, I tried to get it to work with 12.8, but whatever I tried, it didn't work. I have two cards in crossfire and was thinking that maybe one card was broken - no it is not.

I have noticed that the problem is caused by the use of DVI + Mini-DisplayPort. Maybe it doesn't happen with other combinations.
When I select the MiniDisplayPort monitor to be the primary monitor, two monitors begin to flicker/tear.
They only tear in FULLSCREEN 3D applications. I can run windowed 3D apps just fine.
Also the monitor(s) do not tear in every game. Sleeping Dogs runs just fine while CS:GO/NaturalSelection2 etc doesn't.

ONLY SOLUTION FOR THIS ONE (Tearing) (V-Sync does no difference): Uninstall the driver (go to software and uninstall it), reboot, install CAT 12.4 or EARLIER. . (note that uninstalling the driver, i.e. 12.8 might take up to 20 minutes because it COULD be bugged as hell... it's been like that even on the 2nd try. Just let it do it's job and wait...)