Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Sep 2024, 18:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 17:36 

(Posted this on AVSForum. However this forum is better for gaming in general, while that one is more for the cinema, you can see that thread here)

*Note: The house is being completed, only the walls are up at the moment with a few other things such as plumbing. I am going into the pre-wire phase now and am looking for some advice.

This is what the upstairs looks like. The family room is actually going to be pushed back about 6 inches or so into the 3rd bedroom, which will actually be my office.

Now this is what I'd like to do, offer suggestions if you can. The closet in Bedroom #3 is where I would like to house the media closet as well as most of the network devices (NAS, Switches, Etc...); the family room will have the 2.35:1 projector screen and overall cinema experience.

1. I would like to have the whole house wired with cat6 (every room)
2. Have the option to feed movies from my computer (or NAS device) to the family room, as well as games if possible (I'd like a way to play computer games in a more comfortable fashion, via Mobo Chair and X-Rocker in the cinema room at times) (this is really for this forum here)
3. 7.1 Audio in the family room, and possible whole home audio.
4. Cable TV possible in all rooms, even the garage.
5. Wire for security
6. Did I miss something?

All of this will tie into the media closet in Bedroom #3. Hopefully this house all network devices, media devices, and possible future security devices that can be monitored in my office.

Also, I want to mount the projector on the ceiling, so I should create an access for HDMI, Audio, Etc? Is that feasible? I want it to connect to at least 3 Game Systems, Computer, Blu-Ray, and if possible a NAS.

1. I know I'll be using synology as my NAS device and I'm curious how others have used it. I will mainly use it to house my Blu-Ray collection that I have ripped via makeMKV and make available to any device in the house that can use it. I'm just curious if I will need to have a device to run it through to the projector, of if the NAS will handle it. I could use XBMC to handle it via something like the a computer dedicated for it or the new OUYA that will come out.
2. I'll be using Xbox (and Zune) for music and can connect that to the WHA I believe or is there something better (I'm already in Zune, and will probably stick with it)

So what am I missing, or do differently here. (The downstairs has only the living room, small dining room, and kitchen, as well as the garage).

So what do I need to get/do in order to complete this project. I would like some future proofing where you may think it best fits. What type of NAS, Switch, or other device would you recommend. I'm currently looking at This for the switch, This for the NAS and this for the router.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 20:49 

Not much I can help you with other than to say that it sounds like an awesome project and something I'd be interested in following and possibly replicating parts of it myself one day. Just wanted to add that I can't seem to click any of your links.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 21:13 

Come on guys, I know you have a wealth of suggestions :nudgenudge :twothumb

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."