Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 08:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alpha Protocol
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 16:31 

Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - Alpha Protocol

Glenn Wilson @ RPGamer wrote:
To date, Alpha Protocol is the best spy game ever made. It plays out like a fast-paced action flick with little downtime during or between scenes. Michael Thorton, the star of the show, joins the secret group Alpha Protocol to work for the US government as a spy handling missions too politically sensitive or unethical for high visibility organizations like the CIA or the military. With a sense of urgency common in movies and television, but lacking in RPGs, Thorton infiltrates strongholds, meets mysterious contacts, and interrogates crime lords to gain intel on the current location's situation. Ultimately, he travels around the world in a frantic attempt to prevent World War III.

The game infuses a movie-like atmosphere into an RPG perfectly. Alpha Protocol has a safe house in each area Thorton visits. Between missions, he can check his e-mail for leads and information on the area, talk to his handler, purchase weaponry or more information through his computer, and select which mission to tackle first. Initially, the missions are all related to gathering more intel through activities such as hunting down well-defended sources, meeting a stranger in public and trying to pry intel from him through conversation — civil or otherwise, or sneaking into another intelligence agency's base in the area and downloading their files or bugging their systems. Depending on how the missions go and how effectively Thorton obtains information, new missions open up allowing him to follow leads, gain more intel, kill off enemies, or assist knowledgeable friends. A sequence of missions in an area, called an operation, ends with a final assault, a boss fight, and a conclusion to that location's problem that's influenced by the decisions Thorton made.
Source: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/xbox2/alphaprotocol/reviews/alphaprotocolstrev1.html

Last edited by yogibbear on 07 May 2013, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 20:34 

I wouldn't call it vert- as the game is basically designed for consoles, so the aspect is "Aspect Centric" more specifically it is 16:9 Centric.
so that any aspect below 16:9 gets Vert+ and any aspect above 16:9 gets Hor+, while 16:9 is Vert0 Hor0 if you understand what I mean.

Personally I feel like this is the best multi-aspect compromise as 4:3 looses nothing, and likewise superwide looses nothing.
To put it another way, this is the "Anamorphic" widescreen implementation, but without the boxes. (ie. no masking)
I wish more games did this.

Although what I really wish is for 4:3 to be obsolete and 16:9 the de-facto standards. (about darn time isn't it?), so we can move forward to 18:9 (2.0:1) :P

The two ==Surround support== images there shows the 5.57... to have Hor+ compared to the 16:9, and I'm pretty sure if you did a 4:3 that it would be Vert+ compared to the 16:9.

So I'd say that this game is Hor+ approved in the aspect handling,
this is not the first time a game has "messed" up the WSGF certing, as it kinda is a mix between Anamorphic and Hor+ as per http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/WSGF_Certification_Requirements
A class in-between those two might be needed, "Aspect Centric"?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 10:46 
Editors
Editors

"Aspect centric" sounds good, but I disagree with all the rest. :P
This has been discussed multiple times: if the vert FOV is not fixed, widescreen support is flawed, period. The "better than anamorphism" part is very subjective: I for one play AP at a windowed 1280x1024, because ws feels like "seeing less" than 15:4 ! If the game was letterboxed, I'd play in 16:9. So I could very well consider anamorphism to be "better widescreen" and you could totally disagree... except both solutions don't make sense to me and my 16:10 monitors anyway !

By the way, do NOT take the Surround section into account, multi-monitor support is still a mystery at the moment. The game is strictly Vert- (i.e unplayable) for me and a number of other TH2G/Eyefinity users, only Dyre Straits and his GameStop dl version appear to have Hor+ gameplay. :?
:arrow: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/13047t=32

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 17:38 

This has been discussed multiple times: if the vert FOV is not fixed, widescreen support is flawed, period.

That sort of strict rule is why this site has gotten annoying over the past year or so. This game was obviously designed for 16:9, no doubt about it. At 16:9 you are not missing anything.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 21:11 
Insiders
Insiders

This game was obviously designed for 16:9, no doubt about it.

That's what vert - defenders said about BioShock, back when it was vert -. And even if it's true in this case, then at 16:10, you are seeing too much. Either way, WS is flawed.

==Cut-scenes==

Are the cut-scenes rendered ingame or FMV?

==Grading==

Calculated grade: C
Potential grade: C+

Minor outstanding DR omissions:
- TH support
- 1440x900, 1920x1080 & 1920x1200
- Other pending tests (SP anomalies)

Summary of widescreen-related flaws:
Vert -

CCE: 97.5%

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 23:12 

scavvenjahh do you have a better pair of eyefinity photos? The camera is different/slightly rotated (look at the roof outside the center of the windows) so it's hard to judge how severe or not the difference is.

PS! I still think that this game is Vert+ for <16:9 and Hor+ for 16:9, but due to the camera angle being different in those two photos I'm not sure if there is also a "fisheye" change as well. (they might be using a table of 3-4 common aspects and a catchall for less/higher aspects).

I really wish EPIC would fix their damn engine, Unreal is the largest culprit of weird aspect ratio behavior and about half the games out ther use Unreal in some form...

And I still insist that aspect centric is best.

I'm basically saying that Vert+ (w/Hor 0) for <16:9 and Hor+ (w/Vert 0) for >16:9 should be treated the same as 16:9 boxed at the very least.
Now, if Alpha Protocol does not meet "Vert+ (w/Hor 0) for <16:9 and Hor+ (w/Vert 0) for >16:9" then that is a blemish obviously,
but it's kinda hard to see from those two photos due to the different (left right rotation mostly) camera angle in them.

It is possible though that some odd coding is done like using diagonal size as basis. (see "Two aspect ratios compared with images using the same diagonal size:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29 )
in which case might explain what the eyefinity shot is showing (assuming the camera rotation is not miss-leading that is).

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 20:44 
Editors
Editors

These shots are not mine, Dyre Straits posted 'em. And I think he "cheated" by moving the camera backwards for the Eyefinity shot, hence the "not quite strictly Hor+" result - I don't blame him ;) and it's probably worth mentioning in the DR that there's free dolly in this game, even though it won't improve the grade.

Again, my own comparison (same spot, same default camera position) shows strictly Vert- behavior, from standard to widescreen to multi-mon resolutions, so let's not get carried away with "good 16:9" and whatnot.
4:3

16:10

16:9

48:10

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 15:57 
Editors
Editors

Kind user hypernewbie hinted to a Hor+ solution: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/13047
So... we need a new DR :oops:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 19:19 

I have a problem playing in 5292x1680
i cant click on menu items like start mission ect my clicks dont register
in 1680x1050 everything is fine

Post subject: eyefinity now works
PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 16:53 

Some months before i tried to workaround with AP eyefinity problems, menus V- and game not playable. Nothing works. Actually I start to try this again and surprisingly everything working like a charm. All menus and inventary are on center monitor, FOV is acceptable (should be better, but F11 FOV fix dont work in my game now. Maybe Steam release something into the game, but exe file still shows 1.1 version. OR - AMD put something inside new drivers, this is one thing changed on my pc from the last attempts.