Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 08:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2006, 01:12 

[quote]Hurray! Now I'll be able to sleep nights!

30 FPS is alright in RPGs where you don't really move around quickly, in my opinion.

Ahh, but you see, RPGs are getting to the point where they are really FPS games, but with a sword instead of a 9mm. Okay, it's not exactly the same, but for any game where you use the mouse to look around in a true 3D environment I'd start twitching and get headaches if it were below 35-40fps.. :)

Yeah but Oblivion is hardly going to be as fast paced as Quake 3 :)

I originally played through Morrowind on my Athlon 1GB, GeForce 2 GTS. It ran around 25 - 30fps and that was fine.

I originally played Morrowind on a son vaio, 1.4 ghz, 128 megs of ram and an integrated GPU!!! Beat that!

If I used the scroll of icarian flight it would take about 5-10 load points before I landed :P

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2006, 04:44 

Good news but old news.

What I'm really anxious to see is the performance of the game. For this game I don't mind so much about super high frame rates but I want 30 fps as the absolute minimum with HDR and ansio turned on at at least 1280 X 720 (and 1280 X 1024) resolutions.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2006, 06:50 

Good news but old news.

What I'm really anxious to see is the performance of the game. For this game I don't mind so much about super high frame rates but I want 30 fps as the absolute minimum with HDR and ansio turned on at at least 1280 X 720 (and 1280 X 1024) resolutions.

Agreed. I hope to be able to play in 1680x1050 with all the eye candy turned on, but I thought my machine ~3 years ago was ready for Morrowind and I was sorely disappointed by the clunky CPU eating engine. This time around, they have taken some extra time for optimization and QA, so with any luck people with at least recommended system specs will have a visual treat in store for them. I'm very much looking forward to Oblivion, but only time will tell exactly how well it will run.. :?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2006, 23:28 

I originally played Morrowind on a son vaio, 1.4 ghz, 128 megs of ram and an integrated GPU!!! Beat that!

If I used the scroll of icarian flight it would take about 5-10 load points before I landed :P

LOL i remember that one :) It would catch my computer totally off guard, i never saw myself take off with it, just fall to the floor and die rather quickly :)

Ive got a suddeen urge to play Morrowind again :) (or carry on with Bloodmoon and Tribunal ).

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2006, 00:11 

I have loved every game in the Elder Scrolls series, and kick myself for not completing Morrowind when I had the chance. WoW came along, and a whole lot of other things in life got overlooked, much less my progress in Morrowind. I picked up the Morrowind edition with the two addons, and installed it all recently (cheaper than buying the add ons separately). Played a lot, but then like everything else, got distracted again.

I can't wait for Oblivion, but these games are so huge, you have to be willing to simply stop playing anything else and get focused until you finish it. Like a good long book, if you walk away for awhile, you might as well re-read the whole damned thing. If I had all the money spent on games I never finished, I'd be living on my own private island somewhere with a Long Island in one hand, and well, something warm and cuddly in the other.

So, glad to hear it will support widescreen. Whether it will support my other distractions remains to be seen...

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 11:04 
Editors
Editors

A little info for IGN.com ...

February 23, 2006 - There's no doubt that Bethesda is almost finished with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, one of the most anticipated titles in the first wave of games for the Xbox 360. Though the company has already announced late-game details like deluxe edition details, Bethesda has yet to announce an official release date for either the X360 or PC versions of the game.

Today, however, Microsoft's official product page for Oblivion listed a release date of March 20, 2006, where before the game was simply "TBA."

Does this mean we'll be adventuring next month? When asked about the date, a Bethesda spokesperson said no release has been announced, and implied Microsoft's date is an estimate, similar to what one might see on EB Games or GameStop.

Sadly, then, we still can't say just when Oblivion will hit stores -- though it's almost certain the time is finally near.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 17:10 

Specs released, huge influx of interviews and media starts to hit websites, press demo goes out, gamer achievements added to xbox 360, marketplace content for oblivion added to xbox live, gamertags are found with achievements unlocked for oblivion, date changes on MS website....

All of these things are pretty good indicators that the game should be coming out sooner than later :D Looks like the end is near!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 17:54 
Editors
Editors

Why even bother about fps, when you can get it for xbox360 :P

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 18:57 

Why buy an XBox 360 for only one good game? :p

I'm going to wait until the PS3 comes out, or until some more really good games come out on it.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2006, 04:32 

Why buy an XBox 360 for only one good game? :p

I'm going to wait until the PS3 comes out, or until some more really good games come out on it.

Fight night round 3, ghost recon AW (in 2 weeks), and plenty of other really good launch games are out. The way it's looking now PS3 won't be out for a long time! There aren't even any development kits ready for it, and there is no gameplay footage for any games!

I'm no fanboy, but sony really seems to be screwing this one up, the way it looks it won't even be out in Japan until LATE 2006 at best, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.