Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 23:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 13:27 

Hi there,

I decided to try GP4 with the Triplehead and was amazed at the quality of the graphics and the realism of presentation. However I ran into one or two small problems which there may be an answer to and I would be very grateful if anyone can help.

I loaded up GP4 straight from the CD and also updated with the 9.6 update. When I tried to run I got back a message that DirectX V8.1 had to be loaded for game to operate and I was not prepared to do this as I am using V9 which is needed for most of my other programs.

I then reloaded GP4 without the 9.6 Update and it worked fine with TripleHead with one or two problems as follows :

1. It is very difficult to select options with the dragged and pulled text as it appears on the screen.

2. Sometimes especially after a crash I have to shut down the game and restart as the options available on screen flash on and off like a Christmas tree lights not allowing you to choose any of the selections.

Can anything be done to sort this out? I feel that if it were possable to load the 9.6 Update ( or perhaps some other update ) without having to load the DirectX V8.1 it might help.

One other thing which I would like to ask without a further message is , what is the best other car game that is most compatable with TripleHead as I would like to have as well as GP4 one that is more recently released where I feel would be easier to adapt.

Many thanks in advance.

TokTiny

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 20:16 

rFactor has the best triplehead support in a racing sim. It has the "multiview" option to eliminate the fisheye effect and allow the driver to see more. It's quite convenient that it's also the most versatile racing sim because of its many mods.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2007, 13:51 

Hi there!

The reason I originally bought the TH2GO was for this excellent game!

I use the patched version but then you could do with using a no-cd exe to make things more stable for you. If you use excellent utilities such as this...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsdi/download.html#gpxpatch

the game will look brand spanking new and includes such things as displaying all other cars laptimes, fastest laps, sector times, etc. You can download 2007 tracks, drivers etc. from various web sites. Using a utility called GP4Tweak you can turn a head-tilt function on that allows you to look into the corners like a kind of padlock view. The game has been modded to high heaven and back, and in my humble opinion is a stonewall classic..

Don't install the DirectX 8.1 files, do get the no-cd patch and the above utilities and fan updates and you'll never need another F1 sim (unless Crammond eventually gets off his harris and produces GP5... oh and Sony release the f1 licence of course!).

Oh and get yourself a Logitech G25 wheel, set it to 360 degrees and do not use the logitech software. Don't even install it!!

Happy racing!

Post subject: Re.Grand Prix 4
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2007, 22:46 

Hi there,

Sincere thanks for replying to my message.

I could not agree with you more when you say that GP4 is one of the best and I feel you may have thrown me a lifeline to get it up and working. there are just a few things I would like to ask you .

I have downloaded "inst-gpxpatch392.exe" and also all of the manuals which I am now in the process of reading. You mentioned to download the "no-cd patch" but I can not find this anywhere, perhaps you would let me know where it is available.

You say you use the "patched version", do you mean patched with the official 9.6 update or the patch which you have recommended ? Or do you mean both patches ?

Could you tell me the sequence of loading these files , we have the following:

1. Origional GP4 Program on CD's
2. Official 9.6 Patch
3. Our new "inst-gpxpatch392.exe" Patch
4. The "no-cd patch" ( which I have not got yet )
5. Use the TripleHead SGU to optimise the GP4

As I explained in my previous message when I load the Official 9.6 Patch" I get instructions to load DirectX 8.1 files. If I just use load GP4 from the origional CD,s I can at least get it up and running in some fashion.

Unfortunatly I have the Microsoft ForceWheel with Pedals and the only thing I cant get to respond are the buttons. The wheel and pedals are O.K. Do you know of any way to get the buttons operational?

Again many thanks for your help and it is great to know that you have everything up and running which shows it is possable.

TokTiny

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007, 01:08 

Hi there! It's my pleasure to try and help. Been playing GP series since GP1.

You may find both no-cd patches here...

http://www.simracingworld.com/files/1/?File=821&Download=1

You need to load the order as follows

1. Install GP4
2. Install the official patch
3. Install the no-cd patch
4. Install gpxpatch utility
5. Use the SGU or do it manually in the f1config

I had the MS wheel and to get the buttons working you need to access the GP4 settings within the game and use the drop down buttons under 'controls' to let GP4 know which buttons you wish to use for changing up and down the gears. (a bit fiddly but can be done). If I remember correctly I think the buttons are labelled 1-8 and it's a bit of trial and error finding out which two correspond to the MS wheel. It's either that or they are labelled A and B, I can't quite remember but its one or the other!!! :-)

Bear in mind you need a beefy CPU to run it at 3840 x1024 as GP4 relies almost solely on CPU power... Hope this helps and have a great season!!

Any more questions and I'll try to help as much as I can. I love this game!

Post subject: Re.GP4
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007, 22:08 

Hi there,

Again my sincere thanks for your help.

I found the no-cd patch where you said and installed everything as you instructed. It accepted the Official 9.6 patch and it has now got rid of the dreaded " The DirectX V8.1 must to be loaded ".

The game is far more stable and apart from trying to get used to the GPXPatch utilities (and there is a lot of them !), the only two things which has not worked out are :

1. The no-cd patch is not working ( I assume that this is supposed to let the game run without putting the cd in the drive ? ). Anyway it is not a big deal to put the cd in so I am not too concerned.

2. One thing that happens is that when you load up the game and the opening screen shows up with the options ,the two side monitors are flickerering with a white screen showing. The center monitor is perfect. When you have made your selactions from the menu and get your car down on the track both of these monitors now show perfectly as long as you stay on the track. If you come back to the menu again or lets say you have something like the "BIG 1" if you win a race, this shows up on the center Monitor only with both the left and right Monitors with the flickering described. Did you encounter this at any time ? Would you feel that this is OK and wont cause any damage ? I repeat that when you are racing on the track - no problem - all monitors working perfectly.

3. I am working on the buttons, not succeeded yet but feel I will get on top of this with time and effort.

Again my thanks for your help which has got me 85% there.

TokTiny

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2007, 15:11 

Hi..

The gpxpatch util only works if the game has a noCD exe I think, on that page I sent you there was a link for both the patched and non-patched versions so did you download the right one?

You shouldn't have to put the CD in at all with the right one mate.
The centre screen issue is common with GP4, I have it too.

Certain season mods by accident spread the menus across all three screens but believe me this is worse really as it's really difficult to see what's what as they don't scale properly, so the way you have it is probably the best option.

If you are feeling really brave and fancy a full on sim mode try this util...

http://www.f1gp4.it/wp/2006/01/15/gp4tweak-v1045-private-edition-size-990kb/

This allows you the 'look into the corners' padlock view (which is automatic - you don't have to enable it - once used you will never go back believe me!).
It also allows you to add proper slipstreaming, pit lane speed limiters, drive through penalties (instead of the daft 10 seconds slow down you get with the default game), but best of all it adds single lap qualifying for seasons that used that format. A great util!!

Happy racing in triple screen!!

Post subject: Re: Grand Prix 4
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2007, 22:34 

Hi there,

I double checked to make sure that it was the no-cd for the 9.6 patched version and it was but dont worry , as I said the GPX utility is working perfect and I am not too bothered about having to put in the CD.

Glad to hear that the center screen issue is fairly common and now that I know that it wont do any harm thats fine.

I downloaded that other utility you suggested and will have a good look at it over the next couple of days ( I havent tried all the options with the GPX patch yet !!)

My sincere thanks for all your help in getting me on the road to enjoying GP4 to the full. As you said in a previous message you cant beat it and you are dead right.

Regards

TokTiny