Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 16:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 04:01 

I'm sitting 4 feet from mine. Any closer and I'll go blind, grow hair on my palms, get a headache, whatever.

It looks good for games, but like I said I feel kinda stupid playing WOW on this big huge thing when another 24" would work just as well for half the price.

My advice would be a 25.5/26" Samsung, they are cheap right now and Samsung is a decent name.

edit: 120hz sounds like BS to me, 1080P displays are all 24 or 60 (24fps, 60fps).

This one is most certainly 60hz, although it will display higher refresh rates 60hz is native.
Yeah, for me 4' would probably be too close for a 32". With the desk I have which is 30" deep and has a heavy duty pullout tray, the max I could go if I replaced my CRT with an LCD is about 4'. It kinda depends on the shape and size of the display's stand though. I don't like the idea of letting part of the base hang off the back of the desk.

For me the display won't be just for games, so I won't go with a TN or smaller than 25.5" as I sit back when I watch movies. In fact, most TVs are SPVA, which aren't nearly as good in resisting washout at angles as IPS panels are. The only problem I have with the 25.5" IPS monitors is they are 16:10. I'd prefer 16:9.

Samsungs in the size you mentioned are only available with 6 bit TN panels as far as I know. That's not at all acceptable for movie watching IMO, esp if you're coming off a CRT, which is the type of display both my monitor and HDTV are.

On 120Hz, I have found an easy way to tell they aren't a true 120 is they say 120Hz "mode" in the fine print. Come on people, it's either 120Hz or it's not. Like Seinfeld says "Say what it is!", stop BSing us.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 09:15 

Contrast used to be a useful spec. now's diluted into marketing speak with dynamic and other non-sense tagged on.

Same goes for anything over 60Hz:

there's
- 120Hz with 60 blank frames inserted between real ones.
- 120Hz with tv calculated half-previous-frame half-next-frame composite.
- 120Hz with false double rate by nvidia signaling / 3d.
- true 120Hz with 120 frames from source displayed as is.

and I'm sure more are out there, without mentionning 240Hz and 480Hz ones.