Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 12:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 12:18 

Somebody took advantage of the Steam Weekend Sale.

How is the game? Is it worth the $5?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 12:46 
Editors
Editors

Please make a new thread to discuss gameplay as Detailed Report threads should be about issues affecting grading only.

Seeing as the game is certified with all possible support, I'm going to lock this thread.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 16:23 
Founder
Founder

I split this off into a new thread.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 16:31 
Editors
Editors

Haven't actually played yet, but the comments I've read on other forums are nearly unanimous in declaring TR:Anniversary the best of the 3 (over Legend and Underworld) in terms of gameplay and design. Most also comment that $5 is a total steal, with which I agree.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 16:49 
Editors
Editors

It's absolutely worth it.
I hate these kind of games usually, but had fun playing this all the way through.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 16:59 

I didn't play it all the way through. Got pretty far and reformated...(doh)

Underworld was awesome IMHO.

but anniversary is the first lara croft redone. I expect it will be epic.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 18:55 

Haven't actually played yet, but the comments I've read on other forums are nearly unanimous in declaring TR:Anniversary the best of the 3 (over Legend and Underworld) in terms of gameplay and design. Most also comment that $5 is a total steal, with which I agree.

Anniversary is the best of the three Crystal Dynamics games by far, at least when it comes to gameplay. Underworld might have a leg-up in story, visuals and general pazzazz, but Anniversary has really smooth and polished puzzle-focused gameplay, along with some new and challenging boss fights.

I highly reccommend the game, it is not only worth $5 (as a Steam service add-on), but it was worth the $30 I paid for it on day one (retail)... probably more than that.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 22:48 

I've played (everything since AoD), I definitely like Anniversary the best by far. I've even chatted with a lot of players on the Tomb Raider forums that have played TR:1 and like Anniversary a lot too. About the only ones that don't like Anniversary are those that prefer TR to be a simple exploration affair. The two most common complaints about Anniversary are that it's too much like TR:1 (which it's supposed to be), and that the navigation puzzles, esp in The Great Pyramid, are too hard, but they really aren't once you get the hang of them.

If you decide to get Anniversary, go into it knowing it is by far one of the most physically challenging you will encounter as far as jumping, grappling, wall swing puzzles, timed Relic challenges, combat, etc. The Great Pyramid level, has some fairly challenging combat that occurs simultaneously with the navigation puzzles. You can however take out the foes, then reset the apparatus timer before continuing on. It's all about avoiding panicking and using common sense.

If you really like good navigation puzzles, good maps, lots of diverse enemies to fight and all at a very small file size for what is a pretty long sp mode (only 4GB), it's definitely for you. I really like the Adrenaline Dodge combat system and was upset they changed it the way they did for Underground. In so many ways Underground is just an over simplified walk in the park by comparison.

If you get it and happen to get frustrated by any of the puzzles or combat, just come back and drop a few questions here, visit the official forum, or go to Stella's Tomb Raider site. The timed Relic challenges in themselves are a real treat in this game, and one of the places where Underground is a drastic let down by comparison. I certainly hope they get back on track and start making them like Anniversary again.

Is it worth $5, it's worth WAY more than that. I paid only about $8 for it on eBay several months ago, but I wouldn't have had a problem paying $20, it's that good a game.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 19:40 

...and Anniversary is much longer than Legend or Underworld :)

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 02:26 

...and Anniversary is much longer than Legend or Underworld :)
Yes, and not boringly long. It also makes good use of the maps to give you that length in a much smaller file size than Legend or Underworld. It's optimized noticeably better too.

You may also want to try Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb as well for another inexpensive game option, if you can find it. It released in 2003, as did TR: Angel of Darkness.

Emperor's Tomb is a much better game than AoD. I really wish Lucas Arts would put out another Indiana Jones game, though lately it seems they don't care about the PC platform.