Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 05:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 02:59 
Insiders
Insiders

*edited by BHawthorne* Removed inaccurate pre-release info about adapters.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Wow people cry more. DisplayPort is the next generation of display cables, like VGA -> DVI -> DisplayPort. It has a higher bandwidth too supporting bigger resolutions on a single monitor.

HDMI is just a variant of DVI with audio.

If you can afford to buy an expensive $400 card you can afford to buy a $5 dvi->minidp cable on monoprice, and then you can keep using your outdated DVI monitors with the DP cards.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Wow people cry more. DisplayPort is the next generation of display cables, like VGA -> DVI -> DisplayPort. It has a higher bandwidth too supporting bigger resolutions on a single monitor.

If you can afford to buy an expensive $400 card you can afford to buy a $5 dvi->minidp cable on monoprice, and then you can keep using your outdated DVI monitors with the DP cards.

I think you missed out on a whole new situation that unfolded earlier today where it was specifically encountered where the adapters will not work, and especially not the cheap ones. We're now talking $99 adapters -- 1 per port now. The 5870 Six might encounter an issue that the active adapters needed to run your displays will cost almost twice as much as the damned card does. We've got several members in this forum that are now directly effected by this because they have in thier possession 5870 or will in a couple of days.

I'll quit "crying" when you offer to buy my DVI displays at the cost needed to replace them with displayport versions. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:18 

ok i know im a bit harsh about everything but for now i'll continue to use my th2g with new monitors.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Wow people cry more.....

If you have spent all your money to buy an expensive $400 card you can't afford to buy a $150 dollar ACTIVE converter, which we have no official confirmation that it will work anyway!
FIFY
Get your facts right before you start slinging insults.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:20 
Editors
Editors

for now i'll continue to use my th2g

Same here, ill continue to use my matrox th2go + the same 3 x 22" monitors, and crossfire two 5870.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 03:37 

actually its a misconception that DVI is new. Its been around for a long time, just end users never used them much. And technically, Bandwidth wise VGA>DVI-D. There are about 3 different types of DVI cables and connections. Displayport is different than mini-DVI which is popular with apple.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 05:32 
Editors
Editors

man this is bad news, if theres no solution to this problem then im forced to sell 1x samsung 2443bwt for $350 and get a dell 2408wfp... damn

Order fast if you need too because I got mine earlier today its $550 - $100 instant discount and use bing.com cashback for 15% cashback (ends today they said but its past midnight and still there) so you can get it for about $400ish.

Thats a lot of money to me but still better than $550.

If we really do need a $100 adapter for these cards, offset $100 more and you may as well paid $300 for the 2408 and thats not such a bad deal.

I'll use the referb 2407's as the "legacy" & side monitors and I should be good.

Now here is my question to add to the fray. It says you cant use both connections at once (2 dvi & 1 hdmi) but if I hook my old 37" to the hdmi port can I toggle that display on instead of one of my side monitors when I want to watch a movie or something.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 06:41 
I Donated
I Donated

This is pretty serious if all this speculation is true. I can't believe ATI would make such a major blunder. Who are they catering to, like the 1 dude that has 3 DisplayPort monitors? Why not just make the card 3x DVI 1xHDMI and then release the 6x DP card for the high-end? This makes no sense at all. So if you want to run Eyefinity you need to have a DP monitor which are not very widespread at the moment. And I imagine most people want 3 of the *same* monitor so if they get all displayport that means now they have to buy 2x DP->DVI adapters and if they have 3x DVI monitors they need an expensive active converter. Why not just have two separate cards?

But what could be the technical reason for this? I don't get it. And why wouldn't an adapter work? This has got to be the biggest BS I have heard in a long time. I was just about to ditch Nvidia, but now I don't think so. I was just about to blow $1200 on the 5870, 2 more monitors, plus the mounts to hold them but having to spend an additional $200 for some dinky adapter is where I draw the line. I'm just going to get a GTX 285, a cheap low-end card and run SoftTH. Thanks for nothing ATI.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 07:13 
Editors
Editors

Yeah I may hold off for a bit too and try to use softTH with my dual 4850's just to see what is up with the cards.

ATI is a good company but they make mistakes like this that hurt them bad, its the common sense stuff they overlook.

I happen to be one of the few that got lucky with the right setup to work with this card but it was just luck that had me buy a Dell 2408 with DP, had I had found another cheap 2407 refurb I would have made the wrong move.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 72  Next