Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 10:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 08:46 
Editors
Editors

Its an older model now, I remember researching it a bit when it was new. I recall it had some issues but I think most of them were fixed with some revisions (A03 I think was the good one).

The reason I ask and its important is because on my hunt for 3 good monitors to do a triple setup with, I ran into two of these refurbished from Dell directly for $259 each with 100 day guarantee.

I cant even really find a 22" for that price and I have been having that big debate with myself in what am I going to do when I lose my 37".

I think with 24" it will be big enough for me to not miss the 37" much and I saw it has composite/component inputs so I can hook my dreamcast & wii up to it and that was another concern I had in replacing my 37" (dont really have room to have everything.

So for that price and knowing I still have to hunt down a 3rd one, do you think this is a good deal?

I can sell my Westinghouse 37" to make up most of the cost probably, I am just concerned with the quality of this monitor, and for going 3x monitors is 24" kinda overkill? Maybe 1680x1050 20" or so is better since the resolution is lower for gaming and also not as much desk space needed.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter as I am really stuck, I was so close to hitting the "buy now" button but closed the page to consult you guys first.

Edit: I did the deal just seemed too good to pass up.

I figure even if these are older revisions that are not super great they can be my side monitors so it wont matter to a very large degree, I'll test them out as best I can. I have 30 days to return for a full refund if I have issues, and if I decide I dont want to go 3x 24" and keep the 37" or go with smaller monitors consdiering even refurb 2407's go for $400 or so I should be able to sell them for all my money back.

Now I am thinking of using the 15% bing cashback and getting the 2408WFP for my center monitor :D (that also means I have no worries about the display port on the ATI 5870)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 09:41 
Editors
Editors

I had one, and preffered it over my 2408, and 3008... better colour overall and more importantly if the powerbutton hadn't of stop working (fell in so your couldn't press it) I'd still have it... I loved my 2407.

Be careful about refurb, there was a off topic about my drama's with Dell refurbs and how two of the three they sent me had deep scratches across the screen...quality control for refurbs in Australia is terrible. Maybe better where you are.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 09:57 
Editors
Editors

Yeah a man on a budget.... refurb or nothing at all right now. Well except cheap TN panels.

Now I am going to go on a for sale spree to try and make up the cost :D

I read about the power button issue, that sucks hope it doesnt happen to me. It will take a while to get used to pressing the button (esp 3 of them) vs just using the remote like I do now with the 37"

Speaking of power buttons, the button broke on my Scepter Naga I gave my step dad, so he just leaves it on all day and lets it go into sleep mode/standby would that work well for the Dell or does it keep a high power state?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 10:39 
Editors
Editors

yeah powersaver/sleep mode is probably better, I do that now with my 3008

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 11:24 
Editors
Editors

TFT's used to draw a lot of juice in Standby. Not sure what modern screens are like.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 11:29 
Editors
Editors

I'll post back with power draw tests to see if the monitor has a different power draw when on standby vs off.

Other than that I just hope for the best with this refurb test and I hope I manage to fit all 3 monitors on my desk area lol.

Im thinking I can put a wood plank across my stereo cabinet so that I have one big level surface and will have to move the computer tower over some. That should give me enough space to fit all 3 but I am afraid my center monitor will be off to the left quite a bit from where I sit.

My room is so small and so cramped I really cant do anything, my bed is actually my computer chair thats how crowded I am.

Everything works out perfectly right now:

I'll miss playing the arcade on the big screen too, not just the movies.

I decided against trying to mount the 37" behind the screens, it will just be too high up to enjoy plus I'll need to sell it to cover part of the cost of getting 3 monitors and a new video card.

Maherie - will the 2408 match the 2407 if I get that as a center monitor? They cost about the same price and since it has DP it just makes sense to get that, infact I may order it today since it has $100 instant off and there is a 15% bing.com cashback for Dell today.

Edit: oh you guys probably dont know what I mean when I say play the arcade, I transformed that desk into a arcade cabinet.

Here are the pics of the build - http://picasaweb.google.com/masakakoi/CustomArcadeControlPanel

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 06:30 
Editors
Editors

Yes and No.. Different stand, buttons slightly different... shouldn't be too bad.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 13:11 
Editors
Editors

Maherie - will the 2408 match the 2407 if I get that as a center monitor? They cost about the same price and since it has DP it just makes sense to get that, infact I may order it today since it has $100 instant off and there is a 15% bing.com cashback for Dell today.

You'll run into some problems here with the gamut (unless you have the 2407-hc). Its going to be hard to match the colors unfortunately. :(

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 20:03 
Editors
Editors

[quote]

You'll run into some problems here with the gamut (unless you have the 2407-hc). Its going to be hard to match the colors unfortunately. :(
That's my concern with using a 2408/U2410 as a central screen with two 2405's either side. Colour matching. :(