Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 17:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 20:25 

Yeah kudos go to ATI coders....... :evil:
One reason i always tried to stay out of ATI grasp was their inability to produce quality drivers...still this card was too good...got it for free just selling out my old matrox TH2GO.

EF is still too new
in a couple of month if it's still unstable one might blame the coders but for now, it's pretty normal behavior

edit: as an example nvidia had its share of driver issues when the GTX280 came out

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 08:17 

AussieTimmeh, same problems here. Every time I want to switch between my expanded desktop and Eyefinity, I have to manually disable and re-enable the two non-DP screens.

At this point, it's a complete crapshoot on what resolution the computer will boot into each time I get to the desktop. But what's really enjoyable, is when all three screens get kicked into 640x480 on bootup - you know, the resolution where you can't see the bottom of the Catalyst Control Center screens, where one might normally find and click on the Apply button. I really enjoy that one.

A friend stopped over this evening, took me nearly ten minutes of fooling to finally get 3-screen Eyefinity working. He was really impressed.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 10:48 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Yeah kudos go to ATI coders....... :evil:
One reason i always tried to stay out of ATI grasp was their inability to produce quality drivers...still this card was too good...got it for free just selling out my old matrox TH2GO.

EF is still too new
in a couple of month if it's still unstable one might blame the coders but for now, it's pretty normal behavior

edit: as an example nvidia had its share of driver issues when the GTX280 came out

Strictly speaking, as a quality control issue, AMD should have never allowed the drivers they bundled to go out retail. To say that nVidia does that kind of thing to does not explain off that both nVidia and AMD have been rather bad with thier driver quality control in the last year timeframe. To explain away this stuff as the status quo on either side of the fence is a cop out.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 10:56 

Strictly speaking, as a quality control issue, AMD should have never allowed the drivers they bundled to go out retail. To say that nVidia does that kind of thing to does not explain off that both nVidia and AMD have been rather bad with thier driver quality control in the last year timeframe. To explain away this stuff as the status quo on either side of the fence is a cop out.

new stuff in computers whether hardware or software will very frequently have some problems. testing things in house can only go so far...
plus it's costly as hell

so sure sometimes there ain't a single problem on a recently released product, but that's absolutely not the general case.

Intel Pentium 60 anyone ? :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 13:11 

If ati publish of how they test drivers I bet people would be suprised.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 16:45 

Let's be serious, we are talking about a godamn profile manager that's worth crap...how hard can it be to test it and make it right?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 17:18 

You can't cover all eventualities when making a change like this - Eyefinity caused an entire re-write of the diaply driver and requires pretty massive UI changes as well; significant amounts of that has to be done in the few months that.

The profile manager not being compatible with Eyefinity may well have been an oversight, but as I've already stated this is a bug and a report has been filed. The profile manager is essentially a script, however the setup of Eyefinity has some time dependancies when enabling it so they aren't playing nice with each other at the moment.

What else are we talking about here?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 07:42 
Administrators
Administrators

Well I don't want to get on-board and start slamming the ATI team, but the fact that if the DisplayPort monitor ever gets turned off, the driver goes to poo and I have never gotten it to recover thru anything other than pulling the plug out of the back of the PC and restarting from scratch. Even a note about it would be gold. Many hours of my life wasted trying to work out that you need to leave the DP monitor on at all times.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 08:35 

To alleviate this dont use SLS for your desktop stuff only for games, instead use a extended desktop. Disable all but one monitor in your ATI control panel and then when you re-enable a monitor that you disabled you will see the option of "clone" or "extend" use the extend option.

Hi could you clarify this for me? If I dont use SLS for desktop stuff, and just use Extended Desktop, can I run each monitor at a different resolution?

I have two VGA 19" LCDs and one 24" widescreen DVI/HDMI LCD that I want to connect (probably to an 5770). I dont actually care too much for running games via all 3 monitors, just want to use them as an extended desktop.

I read that Eyefinity can only run with all monitors at identical resolution, but wasnt sure if this refers to SLS only or also Extended Desktop. As I have one 24" widescreen, and two 19", I would like the 24" at diff res to the other two. Is that possible?

Cheers,
Menno

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 09:33 

Hi could you clarify this for me? If I dont use SLS for desktop stuff, and just use Extended Desktop, can I run each monitor at a different resolution?
I have two VGA 19" LCDs and one 24" widescreen DVI/HDMI LCD that I want to connect (probably to an 5770). I dont actually care too much for running games via all 3 monitors, just want to use them as an extended desktop.
I read that Eyefinity can only run with all monitors at identical resolution, but wasnt sure if this refers to SLS only or also Extended Desktop. As I have one 24" widescreen, and two 19", I would like the 24" at diff res to the other two. Is that possible?

eyefinity is assumed to be equal to SLS in general...

extended desktop should work like it always had, which means different res allowed