Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 18:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 15:45 

Hey folks, there has previously been a thread about Rogue Squadron here which discussed getting custom resolutions, and while I have version 1.3 of the game (newer than the version hex edited there) I was able to change both the resolution and aspect ratio--the game is natively 4:3 only as far as I can tell, but a search for 0xABAAAA3F as discussed here had it switched to 15:9 fairly easily--and had the game running at full resolution without a great deal of struggle.

Of course, nothing's ever easy, so I have had a couple of issues getting things into a workable state. Firstly, my resolution is 1024*600 (yeah, it's a netbook), so 15:9 is actually a little off the correct AR, but I wasn't sure how to make it something more accurate and just picked what was closest. Secondly, the game only renders what's actually on-screen, and it doesn't judge the sides of my expanded resolution to be "on-screen" and so the landscape tends to disappear as I fly along, as depicted below.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done to rectify that, if anything? The other issues--stretched HUD, kinda broken radar, etc., I can deal with, but the disappearing terrain is too distracting to be worth the trouble.

If anyone wants to try for themselves, the changes I made are:

Code:
Change AR from 4:3 to 15:9
   0x16E042 | 0xABAAAA3F > 0x5555D53F
   Change width from 800 to 1024 pixels
   0x201D68 | 0x2003 > 0x0004

It's worth mentioning that all the intro videos, menus, stage select, etc. are in 640*480 at all times, these settings only affect in-game cutscenes and gameplay.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 02:21 

I think...

1024x600 = 1.706666~

1.706666~ = 3FDA740D

3FDA740D = 0D74DA3F

Other part is hard and most likely futile. You could look for a horizontal field of view(fov) or resolution width in a running process. Or maybe a fov in the exe somewhere. But what fov would you look for?

If you are feeling motivated I would try using MHS and searching for the 4:3 equivilant of 1024x600, ie 800x600, ie 800(short). Maybe the game is using a 4:3 draw distance limit based on the vertical resolution. But it is probably a fov if the game is only using 4:3 resolutions. Which would mean it is a fixed value and that could be needle in a haystack (but probably in a multiple of five as a float, ie 60, 65, 70, etc.).

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 03:41 

Choo, choo... I think I figured it out:
:rockout:

So, I replace Resolution Width and Resolution Height bytes in EXE file. I also calculate aspect ration between them and replace that in EXE as well. Problem is, normally you get graphical glitches. But I've been playing around with cheat engine and I think I have this figured out - basically "Rogue Squadron.EXE"+D520C there is:
Code:
mov eax,[edx+20]
push eax
mov ecx,[ebp-04]

Where [edx+20] is reading from aspect ratio. This value is later used in some calculation with that polygons of a terrain to render. "Rogue Squadron.EXE"+D520C seems to be related only to rendering the terrain, so by writting a higher value like 85, we can render more terrain, at least enough to be able to play in 16:9 (which is already something). I wrote a little program to do all that, although no guarantees on how it works.

https://github.com/SuiMachine/Star-Wars ... er/Release

Issue is, writing too high of a value seems to break terrain rendering completely (although who knows, maybe it even breaks at 85).

I'll probably try to expend on it on Monday, cause university during weekend.

--EDIT--
Alright, so I just stop giving a f. apparently. Anyhow, recently I bought a copy on GMG, which is obviously a Steam key - tested this solution with Steam - doesn't work. Worse yet, seems like, if you replace bytes in Steam's exe, you get an error, even if the bytes are relatively not important. I guess this is a good enough initiative for me, to try and finally figure out the DLL wrappers.