Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 13:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 02:43 

Typical zoomed in console FOV look to this game, like set to 60 or so.

Looked through the cfg files saw nothing that suggests its changeable.

Anyone have a solution to adjust or set the FOV?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 02:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Se, i don;t get hwo "Pants" can be a bad thing. WHat's the genesis of that term? I LOVE pants. They're fantastic.

Oh and i've no suggestions for your issue.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 10:31 

Perhaps pants are lesser forms of clothing than shirts... they're lower... uhhh... yeah, I got nothing either.

And yeah, the FOV is a bit close, but the majority seem to prefer it that way for whatever reason. I would rather it be different, but I don't find it so horrible as some people do.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 14:36 

r.

And yeah, the FOV is a bit close, but the majority seem to prefer it that way for whatever reason. I would rather it be different, but I don't find it so horrible as some people do.

I don't believe that most prefer this zoomed in FOV, it's just that they aren't bothered by it or know any different or better.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 17:24 

[quote]r.

I don't believe that most prefer this zoomed in FOV, it's just that they aren't bothered by it or know any different or better.

At some point you kind of have to recognize that there is a small sect of people who like a high FOV, but most don't care or like it smaller.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 18:03 

At some point you kind of have to recognize that there is a small sect of people who like a high FOV, but most don't care or like it smaller.

Please show me a study/poll or whatever it is where you got your info from that most people like a low FOV setting. I call BS.

If you put 2 computers next to each other with the same game, one running at 60 FOV and the other at say 90, I would bet most would pick 90.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 18:16 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm actually doing my capstone project on this. Comparing immersion and enjoyment between standard 5:4 to triplehead 15:4. We'll see what happens 'eh?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 19:07 

[quote]

Please show me a study/poll or whatever it is where you got your info from that most people like a low FOV setting. I call BS.

If you put 2 computers next to each other with the same game, one running at 60 FOV and the other at say 90, I would bet most would pick 90.

Well, if you can make broad claims by pulling facts from nowhere, why can't I?

Are there technical causes for low FOV? If not, why would they choose an unpopular FOV?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 19:38 

Are there technical causes for low FOV? If not, why would they choose an unpopular FOV?

Working on some info now, however accurate it may be.

I think we should go to 40 for FOV. It has no real tech issues and should be most popular yet. ;)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 12:05 

[quote]

Working on some info now, however accurate it may be.

I think we should go to 40 for FOV. It has no real tech issues and should be most popular yet. ;)

I think it's fairly obvious that hardcore PC gamers like a larger FOV... at least the ones who would bother clicking into that thread.

My question is more about mainstream gamers... do they care? I have read impression threads on Darkest of Days since yesterday morning and only two or three people have mentioned the FOV, out of probably hundreds of posters.

I myself prefer a larger FOV, and hack it when the awesome WSGF supplies a method, but I don't let a low FOV ruin a game for me, and more importantly I think it's a small margin that care at all. I assume this based on the rarity of complaints about it on other forums, and also because if developers got a ton of mail and complaints about FOV, we would be seeing them increasing it.